33: A Teacher & His Students

The next morning, Rick, Carl, and Michonne went out on a run, looking for weapons. As it were then, we didn't have nearly enough to protect ourselves, let alone fight in a war, so we desperately needed as many as we could find. I didn't know if they would have any luck, but we couldn't just sit around and wait for the guns to come to us; we had to do something.

When I woke up that morning, I spent a good amount of time writing in my journal. I hardly had time to do it anymore, but I still tried to keep up with it as best I could. It would come in use someday, I felt like.

When I was all caught up, I went downstairs, and was immediately met with Beth, who was looking after baby Judith. She let me hold her, and we just chatted. Honestly, I loved Beth like a sister; she was one of the nicest, most caring people I had ever met, but she was also one of the strongest, and in the world we were living in, people like that were an asset. Although, that wasn't the only reason I liked her; she was also easy to talk to, and just a joy to have around.

After we talked for a good while, I handed Judith back to her and we went off to do our own things. I went outside, and down to the area between the interior and exterior fence to help control some of the walkers piling up outside. No one else was there, but there weren't too many walkers around, so it was okay.

I worked on the job for awhile, until most of the walkers were taken care of, and then I stopped, leaning up against the interior fence and taking some deep breaths. From what I thought, it was supposed to be turning to fall soon, but the temperature still had to be close to eighty degrees. I hoped it would get cooler soon; I had always hated hot weather.

As I was about to move to another part of the fence, something at the edge of the woods caught my eye, and I immediately stood up straight. I squinted in the sunlight, bringing a hand up to my forehead to block it, as I looked out at the woods.

From what I saw, it looked like I was staring at a person's back. I could see through the leaves as they gestured with their hands; it seemed like they were talking to someone. I watched them for a few moments, completely unaware of anything else around me.

"Whatcha doin' down 'ere?"

I jumped, and snapped my head over to the voice from beside me. I knew it was my dad before I even saw him, but I was still startled. I let out a quiet breath, and turned my attention back towards the unidentified people.

I lowly pointed to them, not taking my eyes away from it, and Dad followed my finger. I heard him sigh when he saw what I was looking at, and he immediately began walking to the exit of the prison.

"C'mon, and have your gun ready," he said. I nodded, and scampered after him, holding a steady hand over my gun holster.

We snuck out of the prison, and made our way to the place where the people were standing. We watched them from afar, but close enough to hear what they were saying. From what I was able to infer, it sounded like they were discussing whether they should try and join our group, to talk with us. There was no talk about trying to infiltrate, steal, or raid the prison, which was an unexpected, yet comforting, surprise.

"On the count of three, me and you'll jump out... raise your gun, alright?" Dad said to me quietly after we watched them for awhile. I nodded, and silently drew out my gun.

Looking straight ahead, he brought up his hand, and counted with his fingers from one to three. When I saw three, him and I both revealed ourselves from our hiding spot, weapons raised.