XXI

WARNINGMAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS AHEAD

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

.

.

.

twenty-one

(—hand in hand)

JAMES PULLED MAEV to her feet, the fond smile on his face still lingering

JAMES PULLED MAEV to her feet, the fond smile on his face still lingering. His eyes glance over her shoulder and the smile fades slightly, his eyebrows pulling together. "James, what is it?" Maev asks, but the soldier doesn't respond, still fixated on the figure coming towards them.

Maev turns around, her stomach dropping as she comes face to face with her sister. Adaire Barebone looks as if she's seen a ghost, her skin drained of color but her dark eyes glimmering with hope. She's older and looks tired, shoulders curled forward and bags visible underneath her eyes. Adaire opens her mouth but no words come out as she takes a hesitant step towards Maev, hand reaching up to curl around the necklace dangling around her neck.

Maev's eyes follow the movement, catching on the two glistening stones nestled against each other. One is obsidian with the barest shimmer of crimson visible, the other a bright red that is filled with veins of yellow and orange. Witch stones, Maev realizes, one for her and the other...

"Narcissa?" Maev asks softly.

"You both were gone," Adaire replied, sorrow flickering in her eyes and she glances down at the ground, clearing her throat. "I'm sorry," the Bone Witch tells her sister, "for not listening to you when I should have."

"You're here now," is all Maev says, holding her hand out. Adaire drags her gaze from the ground to Maev's outstretched hand before reaching out, the two sisters clasping forearms for a moment before dropping.

"I will fight with you," Adaire says, "this time and any time after that until the earth claims me."

Maev tilts her head slightly, "This time?"

"Cap needs our help." Maev looks over her shoulder at Sam as he approaches, "he and the other survivors brought us back but I'm afraid they bit off more than they can chew."

James and Maev share a look before the soldier replies, "Lead the way."

It didn't take them long to regroup with the others, a man in unique clothing waving his arms and a portal appearing. Maev squeezes James's hand tightly as they follow the others through the portal, a war-torn landscape greeting them.

Maev turns slowly in a circle, watching as more portals appear, people from all around the world and even in space joining the original Avengers in their fight. She turns to James, "After all of this I feel like we should go on vacation."