XI

eleven.

marion's blade

marion's blade

MAEV INHALES SHARPLY upon impact, her lungs robbed of air. Thick flakes of snow and splintered earth drift down around her, magic pulsating in the air. She rolls onto her side, coughing and wheezing as she pushes herself up, stumbling to the side. Blood leaks out of her mouth and her bones feel brittle but nothing was broken and she could feel her body starting to heal, so she didn't spend long musing over her injuries.

A mask broken in two halves rests at her feet and Maev clenched her hands into fists, inhaling deeply as the wind witch scrambles to his feet across from her.

He was tall and willowy, his eyes an opaque blue and his shoulder-length hair a deep gray. His dark skin was etched with thin silver markings that created elaborate designs, crisscrossing across his arms and lingering around his neck.

The two stood there for a few seconds, muscles tensed and eyes unblinking. The wind witch breathed in and Maev dropped to the ground, a large gust of wind sweeping over her. She dug her fingers into the frozen earth, allowing her rage to shine through, the ground shuddering and recoiling at her command, splintering beneath his feet.

A few flicks of his fingers and he rose above the ground, avoiding falling deep into the earth and shoots towards Maev. The two collide into a flurry of punches and kicks aided by wind and earth, the air crackling and blood flowing freely.

They break apart, breathing heavily, and Maev reaches up, wiping the blood away from her mouth. She was already weakened by transporting Steve and Bucky, and the added stress of her transporting herself and the unwilling wind witch was starting to catch up to her. She licked her lips, the pungent taste of blood flooding her senses as she closed herself, allowing the most human parts of her to fade away.

Maev opened her black eyes, her mind clear and emotions locked tightly away as she withdrew her knife. The blade shimmered in the light, the unique steel having a blue sheen and the ornate handle melding perfectly to her grasp. She slid back into a fighting stance, watching with sharp eyes as the wind witch dashes forward.

While there were no blades in his hands she could hear the high pitched humming of wind whistling around them, knowing very well that if the wind came near her skin it would slice through it easily as paper.

Magic boils in her veins, begging to be released as the two exchange a flurry of blows. Her skin becomes littered with tiny cuts, cuts that heal over only to be reopened moments later. She knows that he's just wearing her down, that he has more reserves then she does at the moment, so she makes a split second decision.

Maev shoves her knife upwards, only for him to block it using his forearms, and leans forward, head butting him as hard as she can.

The wind witch reels backward and she lunges forward, knife aimed to pierce through his ribs. It's only as her blade reaches her mark does she realize her mistake, pain blossoming in her chest. Maev looks down at the tiny knife buried deep into her chest, a knife she'd failed to see tucked into a sheath hidden at his waist.