Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Honey you have to get out of this house." my best friend Lisa says. "I get out." I tell her. "Going to work is not getting out. You need to meet some new people. Make new friends." she tells me. "I'm not ready for that." I tell her. "Fine. I have an idea then." she tells me. "What?" I ask. "I started writing this guy in Stockton. Maybe you can write one of the guys there and make a new friend." she tells me. "Who are you writing?" I ask. "His name is Alexander but he goes by Tig." she tells me. "Fine." I say. "Here. He has a buddy in there that doesn't have anyone to write to so I had him get the guys info for me." she tells me. "Seriously?" I ask. "Yes. Now, just write him a letter and see where it goes." she tells me. "Fine." I say defeatedly. I sit with my pen and paper after she leaves and start writing.

Dear Juan Carlos,

Hello. My name is Cassie Danielle. I'm 25 years old and live in Lodi. I work in the office of a construction company and pretty much keep to myself. I love music. I'm a tomboy at heart and would rather work on my car than go shopping. Not your typical girl. My best friend said she's writing one of your friends and he passed your information along. I hope you don't mind. She thinks I need to meet new people and this is how I am choosing to do it for now.

I grew up in a small town in Georgia and moved to Lodi about five years ago. Met my best friend my second day here and we have been best friends since. My mom and dad are both gone and no siblings. I guess I moved out here to find some semblance of something. I suffer from depression and anxiety which causes me to not leave my house if I don't have to. Hopefully, if you decide you want to write back, you can tell me a little about you. If not, that's fine. No pressure.

Well, I better go. I hope to hear from you soon but until then, if you do write, be safe.

Cassie Danielle

I put the letter in the mail on the way to work the next morning. Walking into work, I see Lisa. "Well?" she asks. "Put the letter in the mail on the way here. Happy?" I ask. "Very." she tells me and we both head to our desks to work. A few days later, I check the mail when I get home and see a letter from Juan Carlos Ortiz.

Dear Cassie Danielle,

Thanks for the letter. I guess you know, my name is Juan Carlos Ortiz but most people call me Juice. I'm 28 years old, born and raised in Queens, NY. Moved to Charming for pretty much the same reason...to find a family. I did find a family here and I'm glad you found your best friend. My friend Tig told me he was the one that passed my info to you and it was really nice hearing my name called at mail call this time. Thank you for that.

I'm basically a computer nerd on a Harley. You ever ride one? I love video games and pretty much a big kid. Tig says I'm an overgrown teenager. I suffer from depression, anxiety and I'll even one up you with OCD and ADD. I have been in Charming for six years and work as a mechanic. As far as family goes, mom and dad both out of the picture and a sister that I have not seen in about ten years. You said you work for a construction company? What do you do?

Well, I better go for now, I really hope to hear from you soon.

Juan Carlos "Juice" Oritz

As soon as I finish reading the letter, I hear a knock on the door. Opening the door, I see the last person I wanted to see. "Lucas, what do you want?" I ask. "I came to talk." he says. "I don't want to talk." I tell him. "You can't leave me." he tells me. "I can and I did. You cheated on me the entire time we were together. I'm done." I tell him, shutting the door and calling Lisa. "Lucas showed up." I tell her. "Why?" she asks. "Wanting to talk. Telling me I can't leave him." I tell her. "What did you do?" she asks. "I told him I can and did and shut the door in his face." I tell her. "Good. Now, have you heard from your new pen pal?" she asked. "Yeah. I got a letter from him today." I tell her. "What did he say?" she asks. "Just telling me a little about him." I tell her. "Like?" she asks. "Do I ask you about your letters from Alexander?" I ask. "No but honey, those letters are barely tame enough for my eyes. You would be scarred for life." she tells me and I start laughing. "That's scary." I tell her. "You know I like them strange." she tells me and I laugh harder. "I can't let Lucas mess with my head. The letter I got from Juan Carlos was really nice. He suffers from depression and anxiety too." I tell her. "See, something in common already." she tells me. "We're just writing." I tell her. "You going to write him back?" she asks. "As soon as I get off the phone with your crazy ass." I tell her. We both laugh before ending the call.