Martin scrunched his nose in distaste. "Nah, I don't see it. Keiran and Ilta don't have that vibe. If they aren't together, what then?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "Why are you asking me this?"

"I just wanna know if I have competition is all."

"What? You better be joking, Martin," I threatened. Martin flung his head back, laughing loudly. "Shh! Keep it down."

"Okay," he whispered back. "By the way, I got to talk to Ilta a little while we were riding together."

"Really? About what?" I sounded a little too interested.

"She asked how long we've known each other and what you're like."

"What I'm like? Did she know Sye-Liene?"

"She did. She also said that your personality is very different from Sye-Liene."

"In what way?"

"She said that you're much more agreeable now."

I pondered what exactly Ilta had meant by that.

We came to a part of the tunnel with a path that branched off to our left. On this path were large boxes that were overflowing with coal-like material.

This is a questionable location for coal mining.

We continued straight, ignoring the mine for now.

Further on, the tunnel wall was covered in a rich layer of moss with vines hanging down like curtains.

Martin parted the vines, and we stepped through into a large alcove. More vines hung from the walls of the alcove, and a thick layer of moss coated the ground. The strong scent of a myriad of herbs tickled my nose, making me sneeze.

In the middle of the alcove was a large, black boulder sitting in a small pool of water. It seemed to almost hum a low sound which made the ground vibrate ever so slightly. The water diverted into two small streams that flowed out to the left and right into small cave entrances covered by vines, just like this one.

"What now?" I whispered.

"I remember being taken to the room on the right. They must have taken her to the room on the left," he said.

We entered the room, careful not to stand in the flow of water. It trickled into a larger pool with steps on all four corners. Though there was space enough for three people, the sole occupant of the pool was Elossai.

She floated face-up and unconscious with only her pale face remaining above the water. Her complexion was still gray with bruises of black and blue. Through her gown, it was clear that her acquired stomach wound hadn't yet healed. Vines hung down from above the pool and were wrapped around her arms and legs, supporting her. Hardy-looking lily pads and other plant life from under the pond were keeping her afloat as well.

Martin had already made his way to the side of the pool, leaning out over the water as far as he could without tumbling in.

"Martin." I followed him, making sure to watch my step.

"Elossai, can you hear me?" he asked.

"She's unconscious, Martin."

"You can still hear things when you're unconscious. Haven't you heard stories about people who came out of comas because their family kept talking to them? She needs our support," he whispered to me, then continued to speak to Elossai. "Hey Elossai, it's Martin. Ell is standing here next to me." I looked at him skeptically, but he paid no attention to me. "You gotta get better soon so that we can enjoy a night on the town, alright?" Martin nudged me. "Come on, Ell. Talk to her like you normally would."

I glared at him but gave in to his request, figuring I might as well say something since we came all the way here—besides, there was no harm in talking to her.

I cleared my throat. "Hi Elossai, it's me, Ellis. I miss talking to you and I hope you can regain consciousness soon—" Before I could finish, Elossai's eyes flicked open as if a switch had turned on within her. I tugged on Martin's arm to get his attention. He already noticed.

Elossai's eyes were completely vacant of expression, just like they had been in my vision—but this time, not only were they hollow, her eyes were white and void of an iris.

"Elossai, are you awake?" I asked.

She slowly turned her head to face me. "Yes," she said in a weak voice. "Do you wish for me to assist you?" She struggled to unwind vines wrapped around her limbs.

"No, don't get up. Just stay put."

She stopped, staring up at the cave ceiling.

"Elossai, we just wanted to see how you're doing and..." The emotion rose in Martin's voice. "I just wanted to apologize."

"Martin, I don't think we should disturb her right now—look at her eyes," I whispered.

"Could she hear me just now?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. I think she just needs to rest."

"Maybe you're right," Martin replied.

A yell came from the first alcove, and Stanjah, Drea, and a handful of soldiers burst into the room. Martin spun around to face them, knocking my arm in the process.

"Whoa!" I shouted as I lost balance. I grabbed on to a vine, but it wasn't sturdy enough to hold my weight.

Snap!

I tripped into the first step of the pool. The water was warm and soothing. Inviting. I stood in it—strangely overcome by the sensation.

"Anmyn, no!" cried Stanjah.

Soldiers rushed over to me, grabbing my arms and yanking me away from the pool.

"Don't grab her like that! Let her go!" Martin shouted at them.

Elossai was struggling in the water. Her eyes were still unseeing as she tore the vines down from the ceiling and thrashed violently, trying desperately to free herself from the pool vines.

"She's tangled in the vines! Help her!" I shouted.

"Order her to stop, Anmyn." Stanjah grabbed my arm.

"What? She needs help now!"

"Listen to me carefully," Stanjah said, bringing her face close to mine. "The Elos is in service mode. She is unable to observe a command from anyone other than you. Order her now, Anmyn."

"E... Elossai—stop!" I ordered.

Elossai's body went stiff before sinking to the bottom of the pool, still tangled in the vines.

The soldiers dropped me before pulling Elossai out of the pool and laying her on her side. She was breathing, but she was in bad shape. Her mouth was agape, and her colorless eyes were open as she coughed out a slimy green fluid.

"What's happening?"

I crouched beside Elossai.

"You spoke to her and you stepped in the pool. That interrupts the healing process."

"Instead of you guys worrying about us, why didn't you help her out first?" Martin gestured wildly with his palms up.

"The Elos is functioning on her last source of power. The first person to give an order will be the only one she will listen to at this juncture. That is, of course, only if her master is not around. The master of the Elos will override all orders." Stanjah replied. She then looked at me, narrowing her eyes slightly. She was saying this on purpose for the soldiers to hear. She and I both knew that she guessed that I was the one who unintentionally gave Elossai an order.

I ignored Stanjah and held Elossai's hand. "Elossai, are you okay?"

"You two have to leave. Now," Stanjah said.

I wasn't going to put up a fight. I figured we had done enough damage.

"Everything's going to be okay," I whispered to Elossai just before Martin and I were led away.