Chapter 22 - Blackbourne Team

Sang

"WHAT?" I practically screech.

I see Ace wince at my voice, "We sent a group of nine men, five of the Blackbourne Team and four of my muscle. They were ambushed, it was planned. To me, it is obvious that they set it up right before we arrived. All of the guards were there, at least twenty five of them. That is why it was so easy to get the kids. I also think that the ones who kidnapped the nine men believed them to be the nine men of the Blackbourne Team."

I nod, trying to stay calm, "That makes sense. What else do we know?"

Victor opened the door to his van and added, "Guys, come see, Volto left a message."

Immediately, North, Silas, Nathan and I rushed forward. The kids had been handed off to medical professionals. We all barely fit inside the van. It was really crowded, like I couldn't move crowded.

I focused back on the mission at hand, "What did the message say?"

Victor read it off a piece of paper, "Too slow, Sang. What a pity, you got your children, but I have their fathers. Let's see if you can find us this time!"

I lean back in my seat, "Shit!"

North had reverted to his home language, "Πού είναι τα αδέλφια μας; Και ο Λουκ; Δεν έχουν φάει από τότε που φύγαμε από το Τσάρλεστον. Αυτό δεν είναι καλό, είναι πολύ ανθυγιεινό!" (Where are our brothers? What about Luke? They haven't eaten since we left Charleston. This isn't good, it is very unhealthy!)

Silas is attempting to calm him, Αδερφέ, μην ανησυχείς! Ο Όουεν και η κότα θα τους πάρουν. Ο Σον είναι εκεί για να ελέγξει τα τραύματά του. Ηρεμήστε, πρέπει να επικεντρωθούμε για να τους βρούμε" (Brother, don't worry! Owen and Kota will get them out. Sean is there to check out their injuries. Calm down, we need to focus to find them.)

We once more exit the van to be able to talk to Ace too. Basically, we have a meeting right outside. Ace usually has some good insight in situations like these. But this one hits close to home. 

Victor groans, "Where could they be?"

Ace offers, "Let's go over what we know so far. Volto has been chasing Sang for the past ten years. He found her recently and kidnapped her. He then brought her to somewhere of emotional significance to both of them, Charleston."

Nathan adds, "When Volto has beat her up before into a coma, we had found her at a warehouse on Morris Island."

Ace continues, "You escape and Volto gets your children. He brought them here, somewhere else of emotional significance, Chicago."

Silas interrupts, "What happened here with Volto?"

I explain, "Volto nearly caught up to me in Chicago once. I was doing a favor for Rocky when I spotted a white mask on the wall. I freaked out and drove my car right onto Ace's property. It's how we met the second time. I had known Ace because he was one of the mafia leaders who loved Mel."

Ace takes back control of the conversation, "You saved your children. They are safe. Volto's reaction is to get your men. If he follows the same pattern, he would go somewhere else of emotional significance to both of you. Where else have you both been in the world?"

I think for a second, "Chicago, Charleston, L.A., Alaska, and Italy."

North grunts, "Alaska would be too suspicious. He is getting there by plane or car or train. They usually check those because it flies either over or through Canada."

Victor adds, "I was just checking the plans out of Chicago. There was no private planes charted to land in Italy."

I stand up, "It's got to be L.A. then."

Silas asks, "What happened in L.A.?"

I explain, "I was on one of my regular visits. It was during a very important meeting and I saw a white Volto mask in the crowd. I tried to shoot it."

Ace chuckles, "It took the Russians, Ryder and I to calm everyone who was persuaded she was trying to kill them."

I comment, "It was the last time I saw Volto again and it was six years ago when the kids were four. Now, I am sure Aleksandr won't mind me borrowing their jet again. We should get going."

Ace shakes his head, "I can't let you. You haven't slept in a while and you were recently injured. You will use my jet and I will lend you a pilot, but only after at least eight hours of sleep."

I bargain, "Three hours."

Ace shoots back, "Six hours, I need time to refuel the jet."

I sigh, "Fine, but I need to check on the kids first."

The remaining parts of the Blackbourne Team follow me into one of the vans. The kids had already been transported back to the house. It was safer there. Soon enough, I find myself back where we started. 

At Ace's house. 

I go over to where my kids are lying, "How are my munchkins feeling?"

Mel smiles, "Better Mom."

Oliver props himself, "We have something we need to discuss."

I find myself smiling at the use of his fancy vocabulary, "What is it?"

"We are aware that some of our fathers are in L.A.," he starts.

I interrupt, "Nope, you ten are staying here!"

Oliver attempts to continue, "We are coming! I already informed Ryder of our oncoming visit with Mel."

Luke looked at me smugly, "Now you have to bring us."

I shake my head, "No I don't, I just have to bring Mel."

Nathan protests, "It is safer if we travel in a big group."

I turn away, "I am going to bed. I will see you all later when I am more awake to deal with you."

Oliver calls out, "We aren't done with this conversation, not by far."

Nathan, Silas, North and Victor are laughing at my predicament. So much support coming from the fathers here! I shouldn't even bother, they would probably let the kids come if they wanted to. Hell, they would all have the same reaction if there were injured.

I groan, "You go deal with them, I won't allow them to come."

Trying to control his laughter, Victor says, "Why don't you just let them come? We will leave them with Ryder. I have no doubt that if we leave them behind they will just figure out another way to get over there."

I look upset, "They got it from you! It's your fault my kids won't stand down."

Silas defends himself, "It's from you too. You just got stabbed/shot not even a full day ago, and here you are prancing around."

I tell them, "If you hadn't lost my children, I wouldn't have had to."

"Our children, our children," grunts North.

I call back, "My children. Don't think that just because we are working together now means that I am not mad at you for the past ten years."

With no further words, I walk up the stairs and head into my bedroom. Ace has one prepared for me when I first showed up, well when Rocky first informed him of my appearance. I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow, thinking of plans to get my men back.

***

Word Count : 1234