Chapter 11: Sidetracked

Start from the beginning

Neil was beyond any explanations, however. He climbed the fence until he was levelled with Hanz, then dropped down on the other side, groaned. "Damn! Damn it!" I could hear his frustrations through the fence. "How are we suppose to pass the manhole now? It's covered."

Hanz, from above, gave me and Audra a weak smile. "I guess we need to get Pax over the fence first."

After the two of them got me to the other side too— no thanks to Neil, I saw what the cause of panic was for.

Yes, there was a construction. Yes, there were the yellow cones and asphalt and digging materials needed for that. And yes, the manhole was completely sealed shut, what with a forklift covering where the hole was supposed to be.

Neil looked around in desperation, eyes landing back on Hanz. "Do you know any other way around?"

"Yes. But its a bit far."

Neil kicked imaginary dust. Then ruffled his hair. "Alright," he groaned. "Alright. We'll go to the next nearest manhole. Audra. . ." He glanced at us, his eyes narrowing. "Come here for a second."

Audra and I got into motion.

"Give me your hand." Neil was being very specific.

Audra, without question, gave her hand regardless, only to be handcuffed in a split-second. The other end of it was then snapped on Neil's wrist, the clicking sound of it like an end to a sentence.

"The hell?!" Audra pulled at her hand in shock. "Neil! What is this?!"

A sinking feeling went into my stomach. Already, I knew what he was going to say. But I still had to listen to it anyway. "Do you think I don't know what you're planning?" Neil boasted. "The three of you are in this together, aren't you? You're going to divert our mission so you could go to Pax house." He shook his head in disgust. "I'm not stupid, female. I'm doing this for us."

The sinking feeling I was experiencing quickly turned to anger. At Neil. At his whole being. This could have been a good plan from Audra, but he was ruining it all.

"Guys. . ." Hanz, who hadn't joined in on the conversation— or wasn't paying attention to us at all, turned to us again, worry on his face. "There are people out there beyond the machines. Tracers, I think."

Neil yanked at his wrist as if not hearing a thing, causing Audra's hand to be yanked with his. "We go back from where we came from," Neil whispered. "You have no other choice but to follow me."

"Not like this." Audra yanked her hand again, as if the sheer will of its pull could break away the handcuff in place. She growled under her breath when it didn't do anything. "Neil, where's the key?"

"Guys, quiet down. They'll hear us!" Hanz hissed.

"There's no key," Neil remarked. "I found this thing on that Dante guy's drawer. But there's no key. And you know I'm the only one who can pull it away."

"No!"

"Guys!" Hanz was shifting into position now. Meanwhile, I looked at all three of them in panic, not quite sure what to do or who to side with. One thing's for sure, it wasn't going to be Neil.

Audra pulled at her wrist angrily for the third time. "I know you have the key," she snapped. "Give it to me now or I'll—"

"You'll what, Audra, huh?!" Neil moved closer to us. "You'll stab me like you want to do with everyone else? Fine!" He puffed out his chest. "Kill me! Stab me!"

"Guys, please!" Hanz was on red alert now, pulling at his hair, yet Neil was still talking.

"Go ahead, Audra. Hurt me. But I'm the only one you can count on these times, you know. Without me—"