Chapter Twenty-One

After a moment, the note was snatched from my hands. I was frozen for a bit as I looked up to the person who took the piece of paper from me. Aiden looked at the paper quickly, his eyes hard, but not giving anything else away.

“Looks like you have an admirer Katalina,” he tries to make a joke out of it to make it sound less suspicious.

“Well, we do go to that place a lot, so figures that we would get something free,” Trent brings up.

Fortunately, we all let the note go and go ahead and eat. I try and go on as if Xavier’s note didn’t affect me, even if it did. I don’t want to worry Trent or try to bring in Jenny into this mess.

My gaze meets Aiden’s, but he remains impassive. Suddenly, he stands, excusing himself to make a call. But I know better. With the note in his hand, he makes his way to Bret and Mike, handing them the piece of paper and silently giving them instructions. Both of them nod and exit the house just as Aiden rejoins us.

Dinner goes on comfortably, except for the fact that all these people keep piling food on my plate. I insist that I’m fine, but they keep saying that they don’t want another episode of what happened earlier. Rolling my eyes, I eat the food in front of me until I’m stuffed.

“Well, I’m going to head out. I’ll see you tomorrow Kat,” Jenny says as she stands and makes her way to the door.

“Okay, well thanks for bringing the food Jenny. And sorry about earlier and worrying you,” I reply.

“It’s okay. And you’re welcome. Now making sure that you eat regularly is part of my job description. I’m going to make sure you have your lunch if you don’t go out.”

I laugh. “Okay then. Well, see you!”

“Bye!”

I begin to gather all the garbage and leftover foods to put them away. Aiden begins to help, as does my brother. After we finished cleaning, Trent excuses himself and heads up to bed. I walk back to the kitchen to get a glass of water and Aiden follows.

“Are you feeling better?” Aiden asks.

Turning to him, I answer. “I’m fine now Aiden. Thank you, you know, for taking care of me.”

“Next time Katalina, don’t push yourself. I understand you have a lot on your hands, but if you get weak, you could be easily targeted.”

I stay silent, knowing fully what Aiden means. I can’t make myself seem weak or vulnerable. It would be easier for Xavier to strike and get me.

“I know,” I say quietly. “I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.”

Aiden nods. “Good. Well, I’m going to go check on Bret and Mike, then I’ll be back,” he says as he walks towards the front door.