Chapter Three

I arrived at the park Dereck told me to meet at. I had a few minutes to spare so I decided to walk around to calm my nerves. I put my helmet in its compartment on my bike, only taking my phone and keys. I decided to put my sunglasses on, maybe to make myself inconspicuous, but it was still bright outside. I had no idea why I was so nervous. This is so stupid.

Looking around, there were kids playing and running around, older adults walking with their significant others, and younger teens just lounging around. Further into the park, it was more secluded. There was a pond with a small gazebo set in the middle of it. The whole entire scene looked so peaceful, it was very inviting.

Crossing the little bridge to get to the gazebo, I sat on the built-in bench, relaxing my nerves. It view around me was serene and beautiful. I could get used to this. Come here for some quiet time, away from all the hustle and bustle of my life.

“Penny for your thoughts, Miss?”

I jumped and turned towards the voice. There stood the man himself, who was causing me all this stress I was feeling today. No longer in his “professional” attire, but in jeans and a fitting gray t-shirt. You could tell he was fit and that he worked out regularly. What the hell? Why am I checking him out?

Dereck entered the gazebo slowly and took a seat across from me. His eyes never left me. I had to look away, because I swear I could feel my face heat up under his gaze. I’m glad I still had my sunglasses on to hide some of my uneasiness.

“You’re here early,” he noted.

I nodded, still avoiding his gaze. Geez, my heart was beating erratically. I don’t think this is normal. Now how can I start explaining to this guy? For some odd reason, guilt just overcame me.

“Jade,” his voice spoke to me softly. Hesitantly, I turned my head to look straight at him. I kept my face impassive, trying not to give much away, waiting for him to continue. “I think you owe me an explanation.”

I heaved a sigh. It’s now or never, I guess. “I- I really don’t know where to begin quite honestly,” I stuttered. This is ridiculous, I don’t stutter.

Leaning forward, Dereck continued. “Okay, fine. Let’s start with your name. At school, I heard people call you ‘Kat’, but I know you as ‘Jade’. So which is it? Did you give me a fake name?”

Shaking my head, I answered him. “No, I didn’t really lie about my name. My first full name is Katalina Jade. I usually go by ‘Kat’ but when I go out to those kinds of events, I use ‘Jade’ so I don’t attract so much attention.”

“Attract attention? Wait. That business conference was supposed to be for owners, CEOs, and executives. What on earth were you doing there?”

I chuckled nervously. I took my sunglasses off and fiddled with it. “Uh, yea. Remember how I said I was just representing for my company?”

He nodded slowly. “Yea, you said it was Masters Group Enterprises.”