Chapter Nineteen

“Katalina…” I hear a far voice call out my name. A hand is tapping my shoulder and I try to push the annoying movement away from me.

“Hey, Kat…” a new voice follows and is now shaking me.

“KATALINA MASTERS!” a loud, booming voice now has me sitting up quickly. Dazed, I look around and see I’m in class, a few of my fellow classmate giggling. My eyes finally settle on my boyfriend’s face, who is standing right in front of my desk, a stern look on his face, but his eyes full of amusement.

“I understand that the past weekend was a long and busy one, but that does not give you an excuse to use this class as your nap time. Next time you’re caught, it’s detention. Am I clear, Miss Masters?” Dereck says.

I flush and sink into my seat as laughter fills the class. “Yes, Mr. Ashton,” I mumble.

He nods and continues with his lecture. I yawn and then try to focus on the textbook in front of me where Dereck is basing most of his lecture from.

I can’t believe I fell asleep in class, and in Dereck’s class for goodness sake! I couldn’t help it though, I’m so tired. Staring at the textbook, my mind wanders back to last night. I didn’t leave Aiden’s place until after midnight, where he dropped me off.

The entire time I was there, Aiden was mostly quiet. He didn’t say much, only to offer me a drink and when he notified me that we could leave. The man was cooped up in his home office while I stayed in the living area watching TV.

“Don’t leave me.”

His last words to me before we headed up to his apartment are still ringing in my head. Well what the hell did he mean by that? It didn’t sound like the Aiden I know. When he said those words, it was like he was saying it to someone else. Like he was reliving a memory.

So lost in my thoughts, the sound of the bell made me jump. The rest of the class was already standing up to leave while I still had to put away my things. Lexi passed by and gave me a smile before she headed out the door.

“Miss Masters, could I please speak with you a moment?” Dereck called from the front of the room.

I put all my things in my bag and headed towards his desk. He was sitting down, a blank look on his face as I stood there.

“Yes?” I asked.

“You okay baby?” his voice was low when he asked. His next class wasn’t here yet, but we still had to be careful.

“Yea, just tired from last night. Joey needed some help with stuff,” I told him. I wasn’t entirely lying to him, but I wasn’t going to tell him that I was working at a bar last night or that my crazy ex-boyfriend was following me. And I certainly wasn’t going to tell him I was at Aiden’s most of the night.

He nodded then opened his drawer to pull out a pack of detention slips. My eyes widened when he tore one out.