Chapter Nine

So here, we get a glimpse of Kat at work. Hope you like it!

After dropping off Trent as his friend’s house, I drive into the city where the Masters’ Seattle office is located. Coming up to the building, the valet, Timothy, is already waiting in front for me. He comes around and opens my door.

“Miss Masters, it’s good to see you ma’am.”

I smile. “Thank you, Timothy. Take care of her,” I say as I had him my keys.

“Always,” he smiles back and gets in the driver’s seat. I head up the steps into the building. I nod at the doorman who opens up the door for me and walk into the lobby.

Our office building is very modern: white, marble floors, the walls all made up of glass, and the elevators located at the back. Men and women are all over the place, all dressed in suits.

My heels tap loudly on the marble floor. I walk with my head held up high and with the confidence my parents taught me so that people could tell that I had the aura of one in charge. Some acknowledge me by nodding their heads, and I do the same back. I pass the main reception desk, and those behind greet me. Heading straight to the elevators, I push to the 71st floor where the CEOs office is located.

Once on the floor, the doors open I exit and straight ahead of me is the reception desk. Jenny, our receptionist for this floor, looks up to see me. Surprised, she stands up quickly and greets me.

“Miss Katalina, I wasn’t aware that you were coming in today,” she gives me a small, nervous smile.

Jenny is four years older than I am. She was hired fresh out of college as a receptionist for our company and has been working for us for a few months now. She’s a tall, pretty brunette, but hides it behind baggy pant suits and blouses. Her hazel eyes are hidden behind frames, but it shapes her face nicely.

I’ve only run into her a couple times here in the office, but only when I accompanied my parents. I could tell she was obviously intimidated by us and was shy, but I always made an effort to get her more comfortable around me since our age was close. Eventually, I got her to stop calling me “Miss Masters” and to call me “Miss Katalina”. My next goal is just to get her to call me just “Kat”.

I smiled at her kindly. “Hey Jenny. It was short notice. My parents will be in the New York office for a while, so you’ll be seeing me here more often,” I explained.

“Okay,” she sat back down and situated paper work on her desk. I looked over at her. Suddenly, an idea came to mind.

“Jenny, can you hold any calls for me for about 30 minutes until I get things situated in my office?”

“Yes, of course. Anything else ma’am, uh, I mean Miss Katalina?”

“That’s all Jenny, thanks,” I tell her, and then head straight past the desk to the two big mahogany doors at the back.