Chapter Five

This past week has gone by so fast and it has also been the best week of my life. Every day, Dereck and I always found the time to spend with each other. We texted whenever we had the chance, and he always helped me with my homework.

I’ve got to admit, this man is smart. On every homework assignment I had troubles with, he found an easier way for me to comprehend it. He also gave his insights on the apartment complex project that I was helping my parents plan.

Finally, it’s the end of the week. I wake up later than usual. 6:52 am.

Oh, crap.

Jumping out of bed, I bolt straight to my bathroom, taking the quickest shower of my life. I run to my closet, pulling on jeans, a white camisole, an off-the shoulder sweater and boots. I then pull up my hair into a messy bun, not even bothering with make-up.

Grabbing my bag and keys, I practically run down the stairs and into the kitchen. I stop in my tracks at the sight before my eyes.

“Happy Birthday Kat!”

There stands my parents and Trent behind the table that is set with the best breakfast one can ask for. Eggs, bacon, biscuits, rolls, French toast, pancakes, coffee, tea, and freshly squeezed orange juice. There was one plate in the middle with perfectly stacked pancakes, syrup drizzled perfectly on top, and a single candle burning.

A small smile is stuck on my face as I approach the table. I can’t help but to tear up a bit, the scene is just too touching.

“You guys! You didn’t have to!” I said as I hugged both my parents and Trent.

“We know. But today is your special day. You are now officially a grown woman,” says my dad.

“Now blow the candle so we can eat and head to school,” Trent says.

Blowing the candle and making a wish, we all sit around the table and eat this amazing breakfast. As soon as Trent and I finish, we head to the car and make our way to school.

We arrived just in time, just as the first bell rang. I dropped off Trent and parked next to Lexi. I had a minute left to get to class, so I jogged all the way to first period, barely making it through the door just as the final bell rang.

“Well, Miss Masters, right on time. Now please take your seat,” the teacher says.

I nod and make my way to my desk. Sitting down, I steal a glance at Dereck, who has an amused expression on his face, but is looking down. I know he’s laughing at me, the jerk.

He glances at me, still amused, and all I give back is the fiercest look I have. Apparently, it sets him off, because he chuckles a bit, but coughs it off to cover his amusement.

The period goes by quickly, the teacher reminding the class that starting on Monday, Dereck would take over the class. He warned that if we misbehaved and caused Dereck a hard time, he would make our final very difficult.