Chapter Eleven

The next couple of weeks flew by. I was busier than usual having to worry about school plus running this company branch. Honestly, without Jenny helping me with work and Dereck tutoring me at school, I would be pulling my hair out.

Dereck was a natural at teaching. All the students loved him: the guys looked up to him and the girls vied for his attention. True, he was good looking and he’s fairly young compared to the rest of the teachers, but ladies, he is taken.

At school, we kept the student-teacher façade up perfectly. But on those certain days and weekends when we had our alone time, we were the typical couple. He was sweet, always spoiling me when he had the chance. I honestly did not know what I did to deserve such a sweetheart like him.

We didn’t attract any attention to ourselves, nor was anyone suspicious if we were in a relationship. The only person I told was Lexi since she knew the guy I met during the summer was Dereck. She was so supportive and promised to stay quiet about my relationship.

Work was busy as usual. I only went in on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Jenny always covered for me on the other days and would come over to the house to debrief me on things. It was a system that worked out perfectly.

Mom and Dad also kept in touch. The problem in New York was too big. There was a rumor of insider trading and embezzlement going on within the top management. It was an on-going investigation and would take a couple of months to get in the clear. They might not even make it home for Christmas, so Trent and I promised that we would fly over there and we would spend the holidays over there. Obviously, they were all concerned for me since New York held a traumatic experience for me, but I assured them that I would be okay. At least I hoped I would.

Now as for the issue of Aiden, he was just being a pain and a headache as usual. He always would make uncalled for appearances at my office, text me things that he thinks would capture my attention, and flirt endlessly. We would have our arguments here and there, and it would always end up with him walking out and me trying to cool off. But whenever I saw him outside of work or anytime I was out with Lexi or Trent, he was always with some different girl. Seriously, what a player.

It is now homecoming week. The most exciting and busiest week at school. Everyone was getting ready for the big game, people trying to get dates for the dance on Saturday, and everyone planning on what to do that day. Me personally, I wasn’t that excited.

It was the beginning of the week and lunchtime. I was busy trying to finish looking over this report that I had to present at a meeting later at work. So here I am at the library in one of the quiet rooms so I can concentrate. I had my tablet opened plus a bunch of reports scattered all over me. I would have finished it yesterday, but Dereck decided that he wanted to take me out for the day and go sailing. I couldn’t resist his offer.

I got a notification from my email. It was from Jenny sending me something that was probably important. She sorts through my emails, disregarding the ones that need to be trashed and the ones that would need my attention. Opening up the email, I reviewed its contents. It was an invitation for a charity function this Saturday night. My family was to be recognized as being one of the major donators and a representation from us would be honorary. Trent and I would have to go and represent since our parents were out of state. We would each be able to bring a plus one.