Chapter Thirty-Two

"You should have said something, Katalina Jade!"

My dad scolds as he stares me down, mad. I'm 'Katalina Jade' when I'm in big trouble. And there's no doubt that I am, especially since both my parents are here, lecturing me, while I'm sitting in a hospital bed.

When I got to the hospital, I was perfectly fine. But I guess all the adrenaline wore off and I think my mind and body gave out. Bret said I passed out and I was checked in to be under observation. Later, my parents came, frantic from hearing the news. Aiden's parents also came, but I didn't see them. I think I also heard that Dereck's family was also here. As of now, I still haven't heard any news of their conditions.

"Dad, I'm sorry. I thought I was protecting everyone by dealing with it by myself." I pouted, hated being scolded at, especially by my dad. "I didn't want to become a burden again," I added quietly.

My mom sat quietly beside me, and held my hand. Dad pinched the bridge of his nose, calming down, and I could see him soften up after I said that.

"Sweetheart," my mom tucked a hair behind my ear. "You're our daughter. It's our job to protect you. Never think that you are a burden. I'm disappointed that you didn't tell us what was going on, but I'm glad you're okay."

My dad came and sat next to me, wrapping an arm around me. "Your mother is right, princess. I'm also glad that this asshole is gone for good. I need to thank those boys for saving you. As well as Bret and Mike."

My heart stirred. "Any news?" I ask.

"I think they're both out of surgery, last I heard. Aiden lost quite a bit of blood, but he's going to be fine. His parents are there with him. Dereck was pretty banged up. I think he's under critical condition." Dad tells me.

My mood dampens. My parents could tell how the news affected me since they can see my heart rate spike. I'm just a little banged up and sore, but they want me to stay overnight and get checked out by a doctor, just to be sure.

I'm woken up the next morning from the mumbling outside my hospital door. I lay there, as still as I can be to try and listen. I see my parents, Aiden's parents, and two other people that I don't recognize. The conversation doesn't seem to be heated, but they all looked stressed out. At the corner of my room, I see Mike lounged on the couch, his head bobbing as he's passed out.

As I sit up, I feel the soreness of my body radiate. My movement hadn't gone unnoticed. Aiden's dad looked over, causing my parents to look and then come rushing in to check on me. Mike suddenly became alert as the door opened.

"Are you feeling alright, sweetheart?" My mom asks.

"Fine." My voice is small. I see the other people looking in. Their faces are all impassive. The two folks I don't know give a small smile and then walk away. The Crestwells turn away and just talk amongst themselves. "Can I see them?"

They all knew who I was referring to. I wanted to see Aiden and Dereck.

"Of course, princess. Aiden is actually being checked by the doctor right now, and Dereck was said to be out of the danger zone now. I believe his family said that he was in and out of consciousness," Dad informs me.

"Sir," Bret comes in with a bag. "I have breakfast." He looks at me and gives me a small smile. He hands the bag to my mom and stands post outside my door.

"Before anything else, you have to eat," Mom moves the bed table closer and sets out the food. We all eat and enjoy breakfast. They tell me that Trent has been calling for updates on me every hour. He's been at school and trying to manage the business as best as he could. I owe him big and give him props for taking on the responsibility.