Chapter Six

Am I dreaming?

Somebody pinch me.

Did Dereck just ask me to be his girlfriend?

“Jade?”

Why couldn’t words just come out of my mouth? All I could do was stand there like an idiot and stare at him, trying to figure out if all this was really happening. I actually think my mouth is open too.

Dereck brought his hand up to my cheek, bringing me out of my frozen state. His hand is so warm and strong. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch automatically. It just felt right to be here, in his presence. Like I belonged here all along. The feeling was overwhelming that I could feel my eyes water.

“Jade?” he whispered my name, like it was a prayer. I knew he was waiting for my answer.

I opened my eyes and looked up to his blue ones. A traitorous tear fell. His thumb wiped it away and I saw panic slowly settle in his features. I could tell what he thinking right now.

“Hey, why the tears? You aren’t supposed to cry on your birthday.” Then a sad smile made his way to his lips. “But I can guess what your answer to my question.” Dereck brought his hand down. “I’m sorry I asked.”

What? No! I shook my head and grabbed his hand back. “Dereck! No! You don’t understand.”

He looked back at me, waiting for me to explain.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I started. “Answer me this first. Why?” I needed to know.

Taking both of my hands and bringing it to his chest, he began. “Because Jade, it feels right. I don’t know about you, but when I first met you at that conference, there was this instant connection I felt when I saw you. At first I thought it was just a simple physical attraction. I mean, come on, I’m a guy. You looked so beautiful. So from then on, I vowed to myself that I would get closer to you that week. And as I got to know you, it wasn’t just your beauty that pulled me in. It was also your personality.

“You’re so carefree, headstrong, smart, confident, funny, and loving. In that one week, I saw all of that in you. And then I knew, I couldn’t just let you go that easily. When I saw you again, I was a bit torn. Your true age and family status held me back a bit. But that didn’t change who you really are. I wanted you right then and there that afternoon, but I knew I had to wait.”

My heart was beating so fast. He’s giving me his confession.

“This probably sounds so cheesy, but I really believe it was love at first sight,” he smirked. “Our age difference doesn’t matter to me Jade. You’re 18 now and technically an adult. So I wouldn’t get in trouble for dating a minor.”

“But wouldn’t you get in trouble for dating a student?” I pointed out.

“True. But technically, I’m just a substitute. But if you don’t want this to be public, it’s fine with me.”