Chapter Thirty

It's been a very long day. It shouldn't have been, but it has.

After Aiden walked out on me, I sat there dumbstruck at what just happened. Jenny came in later with lunch and we just chatted. Well she spoke mostly, while I listened, or at least attempted to listen. The rest of the afternoon was dull. Meetings and even more paperwork kept me busy.

I video chatted my parents, catching them up with what's been happening on my end. They couldn't wait until Trent and I flew back to New York for the holidays. Honestly, I was excited as well. As much as I loved Seattle, New York was where I grew up. I could use a break from all this drama.

Jenny and I went to have dinner after she was done. It was a good distraction since I didn't want to go home just yet. I'd leave later after doing more things in the office. I want to be able to tire myself out as much as I can so that when I get home, I'll just crash and not overthink things. Especially about my current situation dealing with two certain men.

"Dinner was great Kat!" Jenny remarked as we walked back to the office building. Bret and Mike followed closely behind, keeping an eye out.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. We need to do this more often," I smiled.

We get to the front of the building, and I greet Timothy and the security guard. Jenny turns to me. "Well, I'm going to head out now. I'll see you tomorrow, Miss Masters," she teases.

I chuckle and we hug just before I watch her walk to her car. I turn to walk to the elevators with my body guards right behind me. When we get to my floor, I head straight to my office. The floor is mostly empty already, just the janitor left behind. I turn to the two burley men behind me.

"Why don't you guys have dinner now? I'll just be a couple hours in my office before I head home."

They look at each other, then back at me. Bret speaks up. "Are you sure, ma'am? We don't mind waiting if it's just a few hours."

I smile at him. "Go. You guys will be of no use if you don't have any energy to protect me. Trust me, I'll be fine."

They both chuckle and head off to the break room. Even though they have that intimidating look, the two of them are big softies.

Back in my office, I settle back in my desk, arranging paperwork that I could finish tonight and just do tomorrow. I call up Trent, telling him that I'd be home in a few hours.

After an hour, I walk back out to go see if the guys are done eating. When I open my door, no one is there seated at their spots. Hmm... I guess they're still eating. As I begin to walk to the break room, Jenny's desk phone starts to ring. Odd... who'd be calling at this hour?

"Hello?" I answer.

A deep, throaty chuckle comes through the receiver. "Ah, my sweetheart. They shouldn't have left you all alone."

I go ice cold and drop the phone. Panic washes through me as I look around. No! This can't be happening. I run to the break room, only to find Bret and Mike out cold on the floor. I scream at the sight. How on earth did Xavier get to them?!

I run back out, looking around for that janitor, hoping he heard me. No one. My floor is empty. I quietly make my way back to my office to get my phone and call Aiden. As I get closer, I hear footsteps nearby. I freeze.

"Katalina! Sweetheart!" Xavier's voice calls in a distance. He's on my floor. "Come on out, baby girl!"

My stomach churns and I feel nauseated. I quietly take my heels off and make my way to my office. I open and shut the door quietly, quickly going to my phone. I listen intently for Xavier if he got any closer while I fumble, looking for Aiden's name. I can't call since I'd be making noise, so I scramble to send a text.