War

The smooth, sweaty cling of the gun rubs against my clammy palms and I fight to keep it from slipping. I inhale, exhale, shoot, and repeat. Each of my bullets pierce the mannequin. I observe the rest of the men and teenage boys as they continue practicing. A boy, no older than Fiona, struggles to keep his weapon upright. I stride over to him and curl his fingers properly around the handle. I study the way he moves as he successfully shoots the mannequin. He gives me a broad smile and I'm struck by lightning. Kids aren't supposed to be happy about shooting guns, they're supposed to be excited about getting new toy cars, not a new weapon. My stomach does a somersault and I feel like I'm going to throw up.

"Thanks," the little boy says happily, his bright eyes twinkling. I flash him a tight smile.

"No problem," I force the words out of my mouth. He continues practicing as my eyes glaze over. The words 'never lose our humanity' ring through my brain like an echo in an endless cave. Two fingers snap in front of my glossy vision and I awake from my momentary sleep. I look up at the persons face with a blank stare. His face clicks into place.

"Sorry, just thinking," I tell Riley. His eyebrows crease and he runs a hand through his hair.

"It's okay, I was worried," he tells me. I give him a confused look which goes back to my usual expression.

"Thanks, I'm fine," I tell him and he gives me an unconvinced stare,

"Really!" I say defensively. He sighs and gives up, placing his hand at the small of my back and leading me out of the room. We get outside and wait for the last few people to clear out of the hallway. He tucks my hair behind my right ear and cradles my neck.

"If there's anything wrong you can tell me," he says as I stare at the floor.

"Hey, Raine, look at me!" he orders severely. I reluctantly make eye contact with him. I grunt in annoyance.

"Don't do that," he smirks which contagiously make me smile.

"You're so beautiful", he compliments me, rubbing my cheek. I roll my eyes and roughly pull him close. He breathes mere inches away from my nose.

"For once, let me be in control," he whispers in a silky voice. My heart pounds in my chest as though it'll leap out any second. I nod and he drags my body to his. Our mouths interlock and his warm lips sink against my numbly cold ones. I sling my legs to rest on top of his hips. He pushes me up against the wall for support. I swear, it's like every sense of mine is heightened. The blood rushing under his cheeks and the softness of his abdomen and I know why I love him.

-------------------------------------

There's a soft knock at my door and the sound of excited breathing.

"Come in," I order. Fiona steps into the room and rushes to sit beside me on my flower printed bed.

"Two hours until my date!" she squeals. I give her a heart-warming smile. She gestures to her now straightened hair and I give her a confused look.

"Can you do something with this?" she inquires. I give her a mysterious nod and get up to fetch my bobby pins from the bathroom. The cabinet is withered by time and the tiny teeth of insects.

"Go sit in the chair," I tell her. I can hear the pitter patter of her feet against the concrete floor. I go place myself behind her seated body and begin to brush out her beautiful, amber hair. I trickily keep some bobby pins in between my lips while sticking others in her hair. Her hair overpoweringly smells of a lilac tree. I hum the tune to 'La Vie en Rose' and by the time I'm done, her hair is in an elegant up do.

"I love it!" she squeals. I flash a satisfied smile.

"what've you been doing all day?" she inquires.