A Barbecue to Remember

I'm greeted with the sound of static as I turn on the walkie-talkie. I spin the dial to channel four and hold down the side button.

"Hello," I say.

"Hi, who's this?" a sweet, innocent voice inquires.

"I'm part of the group at the safe house," I answer.

"Oh yes, why Sugar just let me know where ya'll are so we can come on down to your little safe haven," her heavy Texan accent sugar-coating her pushy demands.

"Actually, you're gonna have to answer a few questions first," I inform her. My mother shoots me a questioning look from across the room. I give her a don't-worry nod and she slightly shrugs.

"Shoot," the woman says.

"Are there any criminals in your midst, anyone with a police record or who's potentially dangerous to our soon to be society?" I ask.

"Well, there's this one fellow who seems kinda twisted, he's tried to harm a few of us in hopes to get ahead in the social ladder which ain't workin out very well, we locked him up," she admits.

"Okay, what's his name?" I inquire.

"Mike,",she answers.

"Okay, you're gonna have to get rid of Mike," I tell her.

"But we-" she begins to protest.

"Listen," I cut her off, "if you want to live here you're going to have to get everyone who is a threat to our newly formed society as far away from us as possible." I attempt persuading her. There's a long moment of silence during which my mother impatiently taps the soles of her cowboy boots against the concrete floor. Static breaks through the machine and I hear her breathing again.

"Fine," she agrees.

"Awesome, we'll signal you with a column of black smoke coming from the warehousing area," I inform her.

"Got it," she says.

"Okay, and don't be stupid by telling Mike where you're going," I tell her.

"Don't worry your pretty little head, Sugar," she says.

"Okay, goodbye," I say. I tap the off button and there's a moment of comfortable silence.

"What now?" my mom asks.my mom asks in a bewildered tone. She scratches her head.

"Let's plan a barbecue, Sugar," I imitate the lady's Texan accent.

------------------------------------

"Okay guys," my mom begins her speech which is quickly coming to an end, "I don't know how to do this so the floor is going to Raine," she says rapidly. I'm glued to my spot in the crowd for a second when I feel a soothing hand massage my shoulder. I look up and Riley reassuringly nods at me. I stiffly walk up to the front and turn to face the expectant faces.

"So," I say, pulling at the fabric of my sweater, "we're gonna have a barbecue," I tell them, "at 7:00. So dress for the occasion, and that's about it. Meeting adjourned," I inform them. They all disperse from the little meeting. Griffith sticks around, lurking in the corner.

"Hey," I say. He shoots me a flirtatious grin. His signature beanie bobs up and down due to the bounce in his step.

"Hey, so do you know if any cute girls are arriving?" he asks, attractively rubbing the back of his neck and biting his lip.

I angrily roll my eyes with a huff, "nice talking to you too!" I say arrogantly. I begin to stomp away when he catches me by the wrist. I turn to face him and realize I shouldn't have, practically melting under the soft gaze of his earnest blue eyes.