The Base

No one bothers looking me in the eye with the exception of Mia and Riley. I'd just shot a zombie and for some reason I seemed like the killer. It was a lie, no one understands what it's like to stare a corpse down in its final moments. Her eyes had bored into mine and it's as though her soul was bare. It felt like I was killing an actual human.

I jump into the back of the four-by-four and nestle into the corner. There's a cold autumn breeze that nips at my nose which is quite pleasant. I love the chill/warmth of autumn. One day you need to wear a coat, another a sweater, and then the next day it's so hot you don't need coverage. Riley hops into the truck and hoists me onto his lap. He wraps his big winter coat around me and that's when I finally realize that my teeth had begun chattering.

"Thank you," I say and sink deeper into his chest.

Left hand holding the coat around me, he brings up his right and gently strokes my hair. There's a sudden thunk and I peer over to see who had joined us. Ugh, it's Griffith, the mother of all messes. I give him a cold glance and turn back around. I crane my neck to look up at Riley's face and I can tell he's glaring at Griffith. A warm smile spreads itself across my face and I fall into a light sleep. Light sleeps are the best kind, you can still hear people speak, you're still somewhat aware of your surroundings. I can hear the arguing of distant voices and it feels like I'm on the bridge between sleep and awake yet I've decided to admire the river halfway throughout my journey.

"You know what Griffith? Don't touch her, don't look at her, don't even think about her. If you so much as stand near her I will strangle you," Riley threatens.

"Listen mate, I'm allowed to like her if I want to. You may be stronger but I'm much more agile so please, try me," Griffith says in a vicious tone.

"You may like her Griffith but you don't love her the way I do," Riley says and that's my wake up call.

"Girls," I say as my eyes flutter open, "it's very flattering that you're bitching at each other over me but can you both tone down the hormones please?"

They both look at me with a stunned expressions as I sit up.

"Are we almos-" I start to ask and I'm cut off by the sound of the engine dying.

I look to my left and see a huge facility. There are people circling the fence that guards the futuristic looking building. I grab the pistol out of my belt and leap out of the car, landing in a crouching stance. I stand up and scout the area.

"We're fine. No bombs, no trip wires, no booby-traps," I inform everyone as I hop back into the truck.

I slide my gun into my boot. My father starts to drive down the bumpy, skinny dirt road and stops at the gate. Two giant German Shepard's start to circle our car. My father rolls down his window as a police officer makes his way over to the car.

"How may I help you sir?" the guard asks in a happy tone

"We'd like to speak with whoever's in charge. We're staying at a cottage not too far from here yet more of the dead have been venturing into our lands. We were wondering if we could arrange a way to stay here?" my father explains.

"Well why didn't you say so?" the officer asks with a dazzling smile.

He calls off the hounds and jogs to the passenger side of the car. He slips into the seat and orders the others to open the fence. I slide the window to the back open and poke my head inside.

"Hey there," the police man says a little too friendly.

"Erm... Hi," I say uneasily.

"How ya doin' today?" he asks with his thick western accent.