Secrets

Mia leans her head on my shoulder and I can't help but wish we could go back to the beginning of all this.

"I was afraid that you'd reject me," she says. Mia digs her pale, porcelain face into her grey coat.

"Why would I ever do that?" I ask her. Wind whispers its way through the budding trees as we sit on a makeshift outdoor bench.

"I thought you'd think I was some sort of alien," she tells me.

"Why would I ever think that? You're my best friend," I reassure her. I put an arm around her and give her shoulder a compassionate squeeze.

"When did you realize?" I inquire, removing my arm and placing my hands in my lap.

"Not too long ago, but Arianne helped me through it," she says. Her eyes still have that twinge of hope to them which I've always loved about her.

"Wow," I say.

"What?" she asks, turning her gaze to the floor.

"It's just so sudden. It's like I woke up and over the past few days I missed everything," I tell her. My friend looks up at me, shielding the blinding sun from her vision.

"I get it," she says. A sigh of relief escapes my lips. We sit in comfortable silence and watch the snow that melts under the blazing sun. It's spring. At this time I'd be getting ready for finals, trying not to go insane. Riley would have hopefully asked me to prom...

"Hey, we need you inside," Arianne calls from behind. I look over at her, her dark skin contrasting with her beige coat.

"Coming," I say. I give Mia a side hug and hop off of the bench.

-------------------------------------------

I examine the tangible three dimensional map of the land from here to our old settlement. Mia's mother explains what's been happening at the warehouse whilst we were, in her words, "running around like irresponsible toddlers." I fight not to roll my eyes at her ignorant comment. We begin to strategize as to how we are going to evacuate the premises and move everyone to our new area. Christina begins to shoot off a list of commands, "we leave behind the ones that pose a threat. All families come first". I glare at her and my mother begins to shoot her a 'shut up now!' face.

"What?" she cluelessly asks my mother. My mom stares at her shoes like they're the most interesting things in the world.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she spins to face me.

"Does that sound like a good plan?" she inquires. My face softens and I give her a warm smile.

"Yes, yet I think everyone should come. We leave no one behind. If they do pose a threat they will answer for their crimes here," I say. She nods and walks over to the printer, grabbing the map.

"I'll accompany you-" I begin to say.

"No," my mother cuts me off.

"You're not in the state to venture off into the world. You're still getting back on your feet," she objects. I open my mouth to argue and think better of it as I make eye contact with her broken eyes. The look on her face is that of a plea.

"Fair enough, I'll stay here," I say. Her shoulders slump back in relief.

"Good. Arianne, Wallace, and I shall leave first thing in the morning," Christina says.

"What about me?" Mike asks.

"You're staying here," I tell him.

"Not to be rude but you haven't fully earned our trust just yet."

"I understand," he says. I fiddle with the charm on my necklace and notice Griffith giving me a slight side glance.

"Okay, meeting adjourned," I decide. Everyone calmly files out of the room, discussing what's to become of us. I slowly make my way towards the table and gather the papers with my weak, trembling fingers. I sense a pair of arms that slither themselves around my waist.

"Hi," Griffith says into my hair.

"Hey," I sigh. He reaches around me and piles the papers for me.

"Better?" he asks.

"Better," I answer. He digs his nose into my messy golden hair and I caress his thumbs which are set onto my waist. I turn around to face him and he gives me a bizarre face.

"What's the matter?" I inquire.

"Nothing, I just feel like Wallace is acting... Strange," he says. Guilt consumes me and I bite my lip to keep from saying anything but it still tumbles out.

"He knows your mom. Ask her about it," I say. He shoots me a quizzical look, his eyebrows furrowing.

"What are you talking about?" he asks.

"It's not my place to say anything. Your mother told me long ago when I didn't like you and now it's her responsibility to tell you about this gigantic 'secret' " I say.

"Okay, I'm gonna go see if your mom wants help with anything," he informs me. I nod slightly and hold my breath. He tenderly kisses my forehead and goes away, his fingers lingering on my hand for a mere moment.

-------------------------------------------

I lounge with Arianne on my bed as we paste different labels onto tin cans. Laughter echoes throughout the concrete room. The springs of the uncomfortable beds shift under our weight as we roll around, gasping for air.

"You actually said that to her!" I exclaim.

"Yup, told her she had to eat erasers to get the taste of the glue out of her mouth," she says, mid laugh. I clutch my stomach as I try to inhale.

"Look at you, the devils spawn!" I tease. She laughs and wiggles her dark brown eyebrows.

"What's the most badass thing you've ever done?" she inquires. I think for a minute and it dawns on me.

"Last year, my friends and I got together on this road late at night and we played chicken," I say. The memory is still fresh in my mind. Headlights at a distance, barreling towards me. Holding a breath, contemplating moving or not. Then finally, among the car horn and the shouts of my friends, I'm sucked out of my thoughts and forced to move aside as the car barely misses me. Riley catches me, clinging onto my arm for dear life. I'm drawn out of the memory as Arianne drops a can on the floor.

"What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you?" I ask.

"I'd say losing my parents but its hard to feel pain when it comes to someone you've never known," she says. I don't say anything. I understand the dread of being pitied every time you tell a tragic story.

"The worst thing would have to be being stuck in an orphanage for my whole life," she says. I sympathetically nod my head.

"I'd ask what yours is but I already know," she says. I stare at my feet and we're met with uncomfortable silence. Guilt eats at her as she bites her lip.

"Anyway, here's a good question. What's your favourite colour?" I ask. She smiles, clearly relieved.

"Yellow," she answers.

"You?" she asks.

"Green," I say.

---------------------------------------

Authors note: I know it was an uneventful chapter and it took me a long time to write but I had major writers block. Any who, thank you for following, voting, and reading :)