Monsters and Men

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I screwed up in the last chapter. Oops! She's not a water nymph, she's a dryad. Sorry for any confusion!!!

I felt a pounding throughout my entire chest and my lungs felt constricted. I immedialty spun myself onto my stomach and vilently coughed up all the water that was resting there. I heaved silently for a moment then finally purged myself from all of it. I stood on my hands and knees gasping for a moment, then sat back up onto my heels. Breathing slowly and trying to fight the oppressive wave of exhaustion, I looked at the trees in front of me. I gasped, jerked my head up and spun around as I heard someone breathing silently behind me.

It was Peter. He looked at me silently, not waiting for an explination, just, waiting for something. Anything.

"Peter-" I began.

"What the hell was that?! I see you walking ON THE POND and all these things are singing and the moon and you and.... and... What the hell!!!!" He shouted, my words snapping him out of his scilence.

"I can explain-"

"Well you better start explaining, because I'm begining to get confused on who else was keeping a secret back in Finchly!"

I sighed and waited for him to calm down, flopping back onto my butt, trying to save what little energy I had left.

"Well?" he said impatiently after a moment. I struggled to keep my temper and sighed again. Clearly the whole calming down thing was just not going to happen.

"I'm, different from other girls,"

"Well thats freaking obvious!" he interrupted.

"Do you want to hear the story or not!" I shouted back. So much for not losing my temper. He sat there scowling like a stubborn child, but still, he was silent. I sighed and began again

"There was once a war between the ancient races. The gods of the earth and the gods of the sky quarreled. Humans were being reckless, dabbling in magic arts they didn't understand. In doing this, they released evil, powerful magic into the world. It was the gods job to stop the evil, but eventually, it became to much. More and more humans were summoning magic, and few of them were actually able to control it. Demons and dark spirts were running reckless through the world. In order to solve the problem on a large scale, the sky gods wanted all humans to be elimminated, saying that even if they were able to eradicate all the evil, who's to say the humans wouldn't raise it again. The earth gods were a little more merciful, and only wanted humans to be stripped of any magic they had left inside of them, leaving them without any way of conjuring the evil."

"Well, why didn't they do that?" Peter asked, genuinely looking confused. He was actually paying attention now, caught up in every word I was saying.

"They did. Secretly, behind the sky gods backs, they took a small group of humans and stripped them of the tiny bit of magic they had left inside them. The results were disasterous. Without their magic, the humans became so overwhelmed with hate and greed that they became the exact demons the gods were fighting. One of the humans that turned into a demon escaped, and stabbed the Queen of the Sky Gods, Hera, while she slept. The knife he stabbed her with was poisined, and her time began to grow short. The gods were now on the brink of war, and earth would be their battle feild. That's where my mother comes into play."

"Your mother?" He asked. I nodded.

"My mother was an oracle, given the power to communicate with the gods. She begged them not to fight each other, and offered herself as a sacrifice, saying they could use her in any way they must. At first they thought they would just kill her, and use her energy to heal Hera, but that would be a watse. The poisin would only spread throught the new energy and kill that as well. And the evil on earth would still be an unsolved issue. She asked them to give her and a handful of others the power to fight the evil for the gods. She would do nothing else with the power unless forced. Most thought it was a good idea. Since they gave her the power, if she misused it, they could always take it away. But that left Hera still wounded and dying. My mother said if they gave her different abilities than the average human, like to live longer , she would donate some of her spirt energy to Hera once a month."

Peter was silent, so I continued.

"They all agreed this would be the best way to solve the issue. They told my mother she would have two days to collet as many woman as she needed and to inform her family. But they warned her. She could still die just like a normal human. She would only be enhanced slightly. And she would be in charge of running the others. She told them she understood."

"Two days later, she returned with 82 other woman. The gods asked her why she needed so many.

'Are you going to create any more after this?' she replied. They all shook their heads, realizing her point. When they were done, they each were given some small power over some of the elements to fight the evil. Some were earth, some were flora, some were air, some were fire, and some were water. They were nymphs, masters of one element. My mother, had control of all of them, depending in where she was. My mother became the first dryad. They went back to earth and split off into groups. My mother was named the queen, and she divided it up by powers. Then she picked a leader for each group."

"What do you mean?" Peter asked.

"Well, my mother couldn't be everywhere at once. To keep everything in order she picked a kind of leader for each power group. The only issue was she didn't know how, and when Hera would take her energy. That month, in the middle of a battle with pack of demons, my mother was lifted to the full moon and half of her energy was drained. My mother was rendered completely helpless. The other nymphs only barely managed to fight off the demon. The day after, my mother was weak and tired, barely able to walk more than a few feet."

"By the next day, she felt a little bit stronger. Not much, she still couldn't walk very far or do much, but she definitely noticed an improvement. The next day, she felt even stronger, and by the fourth day she was back to normal. The next full moon, it happened again, and again my mother was drained. That was the energy she had sworn to give to Hera."

"Ok, well, I still don't get it. why did that happen to you right now and not your mother?"

I sighed, blinking back tears. "My real mother died last year. The burden of being queen and donating energy, has fallen to me."

Peter was silent. I leaved my heavy head onto my hand.

"I'm sorry." he said after a moment.

"Don't be," I said smiling weakly. "I had her for two hundred years. That's more than most people have with their parents."

He gave me a small smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you before," I apologized, "I didn't know how."

"It alri-"

A high pitched screech cut its way through the forest. My eyes grew wide with fear. I closed my eyes and listened in that direction.

"What was-"

"Shh!" I shushed Peter quickly. I listened in again. another screech sliced through the woods, echoing off the trees, closer this time.

"Peter!" I shouted, coming back. "We need to get out of here!"

"What, why? What was that-" he said trailing off looking into the forest.

"Literally, I have no time at all to explain. We have three minutes before they reach us. We need to go now!"

I picked myself up on shaky legs, only to stumble and hit the ground. I groaned in frustration.

"Here, let me-" Peter didn't even finish his sentence, he just stooped down and scooped me up. He began walking quickly through the forest.

"Normally I would protest, considering how many times you've already carried me today. But, given the situation that we could die-"

"We could die!?" Peter exclaimed. He picked up his pace.

" What are those things?"

"Remember those demons I told you about?"

"Yea?"

"They also figured out that the queen gets weak after the full moon."

"Oh," he said, looking back. "Great."