The Duengons

I awoke on a hard plank of wood in a dimly lit room. A foul, sour smell filled my nose and instantly gave me a splitting headache. The dungeons, I thought as I looked around, gazing at the cement floor and barred window. I jumped up, then swayed on my feet. I fell for a moment, then crashed to the ground. I picked my head up, then brought it back down.

Huh. I had almost forgotten what that felt like. Peter almost always caught me. I snapped my head up and gasped.

"Peter!" I couldn't help but shout. I scrambled over to the barred window and clasped my hands down on the bars. A burning sensation filled my veins as I hissed and yanked my hands back. I cradled my hands to my chest and took a peak at them. They were bright red, some areas in my palms beginning to blister. I sighed in frustration and blinked back a few tears. I ran to the door and stopped right in front of it. I slowly extended one finger, then lightly placed it on the bars. I gasped again and pulled my finger away from the burning bar. I cried out in frustration and sat down on the bed, aka plank of wood.

"It's no use dear," a voice said. I gasped and jolted up, gazing through the dark to the cell across from mine. An old, portly man slowly came into view.

"They coated the bars in Unholy water before they brought you down here," he said looking at me with sadness in his eyes. I frowned and placed my head in my hands. Then I sighed, ran my hands through my hair, then looked up at the man to give him a half hearted smile.

"And you are?" I asked.

"You're Majesty, call me Cornelius," he said with a smile.

"Your Majesty?" I said with a smile, "Now how would you know me?" He smiled.

"You saved my great-great grandmother from a demon. My family always told stories," he said, sitting down near the door, "about how my grandmother had no weapons, and was running from a demon when she tripped on a tree root and twisted her ankle. Just when all hope was lost, the Queen of Queens leapt down from the trees and cut the foul thing in half, saving her life."

I smiled at him. "What was her name?"

'Its a bit of a mouthful," he said with a smile.

"Which means I may remember it then," I encouraged.

"It was Brobroubella," he said with a smile, "A black dwarf from the Northern Mountains."

I smiled as I thought back to that tough little thing I had met so long ago, and I smiled. We had shared a meal afterward, and I had considered her a friend. I smiled again.

"Thank you," I said to him.

"For what?"

"I had forgotten about her. I don't like to forget happy memories. There are so few of them," I explained. He smiled and began to speak.

"You know-"

A long, unearthly shriek filled the air and hung in the night sky. I whipped my head to the window. Another shriek, lower in pitch then filled the silence, then another, then another, until soon, I heard all seven. I saw a pale white ankle dart past the barred window. They were coming.

"Shit!" I whispered, looking around for a weapon of any kind.

"Your Majesty!" Cornelius shouted, I turned to see him roll a small glass vial across the hall. I snatched it up, reading the label on the side. It read "holy water." I shook my head.

"You do your cell first," I told him. He smiled and held up another vial, but this one was half empty. I smirked and uncorked the vial. I spread a small circle around myself and the bed, then sat and waited.