Im fine. I think...

"Peter, no!" I screamed, finally finding my voice. Peter was throwing punches like nobody's business, and in no time, the guy was on the floor.

BANG!

Everyone froze, but I whirled around to see where Peter was. Over the sirens in the distance I could just barely hear the one at the register say, "We got the loot!" He and he other guy ran out the door. The one pressed something to the door and fired the pistol a few more times over his shoulder, leaving the one Peter beat up behind. Suddenly, everyone started running out the door, a few falling, some tripping, all panicking, but I only had eyes for Peter.

"Peter?" I called out fighting the crowd. "Peter!" Somewhere I heard,

"Maria!"

"Peter!" I made my way toward his voice. In a break in the crowd I saw the top of his blonde head in the back corner. I pushed my way through the crowd and I saw him do the same. Suddenly, arms were placed around my shoulders and I was wrapped into a bone crushing hug. I hugged him back and I heard him sigh in relief. Suddenly he pulled back and held me at arms length.

"Are you ok? Are you hurt?" he said looking me over with a panicked expression.

"Am I ok? Are you ok? I heard the gun go off and I..." I trailed off getting slightly teared up. "I'm fine." I said after I got control of myself.

"The guy has the worst aim in the history of the world." He chuckled dryly and pulled me into another hug.
"The bullet landed three feet to my left." he chuckled. I swayed, suddenly unsteady on my feet.
"Maria?" he asked holding me out again. I felt his fingers touch the inside of my elbow.
"Oh god." I heard him say.

"What is it?" I asked, felling more than slightly dizzy now.

"I thought you said you were fine!"

"I am," I said, my vision blurring slightly at the edges.

"God, do you see this Maria?!" he shouted, holding out his hand. There was something wet and red coating his fingertips. I held out my arm to look at what happened. In the crease of my elbow, there was a tiny piece of glass wedged in my flesh right where the vein is. The thick, dark trail of blood running down my arm looked strangely foreign on my paper white skin. I turned around and saw a trail of the same blood all over the floor. Just then the stinging hit me like a slap in the face.

"Ouch." I said not thinking of anything else to say. Suddenly I realized there was a high pitch beeping coming from the front of the shop.
"Peter?" I asked, my head swimming from the loss of blood, "what's that noise?" My vision was now going black at the edges. He looked up from my cut and towards the doorway.

"No!" he said as the beeping increased. He threw himself on top of me, there was a blinding light, and then I gave way to unconsciousness.

I woke up to a scorching heat and blinding light. I was hanging limply in someone's arms as they were carrying me bridal style.

"Peter?" I asked my voice scratching its way out of my throat. I coughed the smoke out of my lungs. Smoke? I thought.

"Maria?!" he said frantically. I somehow found the strength to lift my head and look into his unnaturally blue eyes, strangely dark, as if a black cloud was overhead.
"Your ok?" He asked me.

"I think so. What's going on?" I looked around, confused by why it was so hot.

"The man put a bomb in the doorway. I tried to block you but"

"What! You tried to block me!?" I interrupted. I tried to jump out of his arms to look at his back to see if it was ok, but he held me tight as I suddenly got dizzy.
"Wo. Head rush." I stated as I sank back into his arms.

"I'm fine. A table flew up behind me so it blocked most the heat. I tied your arm off with a piece of my shirt to stop the bleeding, but you need to take it easy. I'm trying to find a way out of this building." he said. I looked around.

"There." I said, pointing to a window. "Whats that noise?" I asked, commenting on a high pitched squeal. Peter looked over his shoulder.

"You've got to be joking." he said.

"What?"

"Brace yourself!" he shouted, kicked a chair through a window, and jumped out as there was another blast of light and sound as the world faded to black again.