Death

Skip the first 15 seconds of the song

************************************************************************************

"Peter," I whispered in pain. I felt him look down at me.

"What is it?" he asked, sounding like he was begging, "what can I do?"

"The horse moving," I winced, "It hurts-"

"Stop the horses!" He called. I was lifted into the air, then laid on a soft patch of grass. I could hear Peter breathing next to me. "Just a small break okay? Then we'll take you to Lucy, and she'll fix it, he said, but then I felt a drop land on my face. He's crying. I realized.

"Ohh, oh, shh," I whispered, and as much as I wanted to scratch my own skin off, reached up until I found his face. "Shhh," I whispered, stroking the tears off his cheek. "It'll be okay." I listened to him take a shaky deep breath.

"Your right," I felt him half smile against my hand. "It's all going to be fine," he said, but I felt more tears land on my face. "You just live, okay? You just hold on a little while longer. If you live, then it'll all be okay. Alright?"

"Peter," I whispered. I wanted to live, to be with him, but it hurt so bad.

"Please," he whispered, and I felt more tears land on my face. He began stroking my cheek. "I don't even care if its a lie right now. Just promise me- promise me you'll be okay."

"I'll try. I'm trying. I promise," I whispered with a half smile, "don't be sad."

I felt him smile a little and my hand fell away from his face. "Alright. Come on," he said, tucking his arms under me, "we have to get going."

Peter began to pick me up, when I felt something rip through me. It felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I gasped in pain and straightened out.

"What?" He asked, "What is it?"

"Peter," I gasped, blinking tears out of my eyes, "I think... I'm."

"No." He whispered, "no you can't. Please, no-"

"Peter," I began searching for his face in the air, and he grabbed my hand to guide it to his face. I was gasping and the tears were flowing freely. "Peter," I whispered again, "Hold me?" I begged, "please."

He inhaled sharply, then sat me up on his side and hugged my to him, so I could drape my arms around him as well. I felt like I was being crushed by him, but I didn't care. In this moment, I wanted nothing more than to be surrounded by someone I loved.

"Don't let me go," I whispered, rubbing my cheek against his neck.

He clutched me tighter to him. "Never."

And I was gone.

************************************

Peters POV:

"No" I whispered. Everyone turned to look at me. "Cornelius!?" I shouted as I clung to her, holding her like she was the only thing holding me together.

Cornelius and Caspian ran over. Cornelius gasped at the sight of her. Her scratch marks had stopped oozing the thick black blood and were now sealing up with tiny little ice crystals. Normally, I would have thought it was a good thing. But she wasn't breathing.

"Cornelius, please, tell me its a dryad thing," I pleaded quietly, not looking up, "Tell me its uh, its like uh, a defense mechanism, a way to trick people into thinking she's dead, or something."

There came no reply. I looked up to see his face was grim.

"Tell me Cornelius. Tell me that's what it is," I begged, "Well, tell me something. Anything!" I shouted, blinking back what I assumed were tears.

He looked me in the eye, then very gently grabbed her wrist. He lay his two fingers there and waited for what felt like days.

"Why is it taking so long to check?" Caspian asked, breaking the silence.

"First of all, a dryads heart beat runs slower than most. And second," he looked up at me slowly, "I wanted to delay admitting she was dead for as long as possible."

I blanked. My mind. Just. Stopped. I looked down at her as she slowly began growing colder, looking at the gray pallor of her skin, the black blood smudging it, the dull grayness of her once bright eyes. The pained look on her once happy face. I reached over slowly and stroked her hair away from her face. The face I would never see smile again.

Never see again. Never again would I see her eyes roll back when I said something sarcastic. Never again would I see her gliding down the forest trails, almost seeming like she was floating. And never again would I see her laying atop a man-made mountain, in one tiny ray of sun that decided to peek through the rain clouds just for her.

I would never again hear her voice ringing throughout the woods late at night. Her voice was like a wolfs howl, beautiful yet sorrowful all the same.

It was gone. She was gone.

And so was I.

***********************************

NO ONES POV:

The High King had hit his lowest of lows. He trembled and looked around for a moment, almost as if looking for some magical cure, then bowed his head and began sobbing silently. There was no noise, but the tears dripping from his face and onto hers was proof enough. No one knew how long the High King sat like that. No one felt any need to stop him though. Everyone was experiencing the same amount of dark black sadness. Even the birds refused to chirp. A cloud had descended over Narnia, blotting out every bit of light, and began pouring rain.

"Peter," Caspian said, lightly placing his hand on his shoulder. The High King looked up. There were no more tears, but his eyes were red and the trails from the previous trails had begun to dry on his face. "Peter, we have to leave. The rain may make the path back to difficult for the centaurs."

Peter hasn't even noticed the rain. He reached up and realized his hair was wet. He turned his head to the sky and chuckled coldly as he realized that even the sky was crying for his loss. He looked back down at Maria's corpse laying on the ground, then back at the sky.

Then ever so slowly, he scooped her up and handed her off to one of the centaurs.

"Peter?" Caspian asked him in shock, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. We'll take her back to the tomb and see if Lucy can do anything," he said flatly, as if his mind were somewhere else.

"Peter-" Caspian began. Peter gave no reply, just mounted his horse and began to ride off in the direction of of the tomb.

Sorry this isn't the best one I've ever written, but I haven't written in a while. Sorry I killed her off, but you'll figure it out later. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Love Always,
~VampJenna~