Peter's POV

I jumped out the window just as the coffee machine exploded from the heat. I hit the ground and landed expertly on my feet, summersaulted to avoid breaking my ankles (while shielding Maria from the ground) and wound up on my knees. I looked down at Maria. Dark smudges of soot smudged her porcelain skin and ash clung to her hair and clothes. I saw her eyes closed and her face peaceful, but it didn't look like she was breathing.

"Maria?" I asked gently. When she gave no reply I asked a little louder. Nothing.
"Maria!" I shouted. I put my finger to the inside of her wrist, but I couldn't find a pulse.
"Maria, wake up!" I lifted her chest up to my ear to find a heartbeat, I listened with all my might, but I couldn't hear anything. I was about to move my ear away to attempt CPR when I heard a faint thud. Did I imagine it? I pressed her chest closer to my ear and waited. And waited. And waited.

Thud. I felt her chest rise just barely as she brought in air.

"Your alive!" I shouted to the air.

Why is her heartbeat so slow? I thought as I lowered her back down. Then I caught a glimpse of her arm again. She had bled through my makeshift bandage and she was starting to shiver, like she was going into shock. Luckily, an ambulance pulled up right then.

"Help!" I shouted when the people had gotten out.

"What is it sonny?" one of them asked.

"It's my...girlfriend. She got cut and is bleeding really bad."

"What about you? You look no better of then her!" He said.

"It's only because I had to carry her out of the"

"You carried her out? Of that?!" a different one interrupted., pointing at the building, now a blazing inferno.

"Yes. She got cut, passed out, and I carried her out." I told them, slightly annoyed.

"How long have you two been dating?" one of them asked.

"This is our first date."

"I thought you kids were all about 'every man for himself ' and all that?"

"I'm not. And my siblings aren't either. Look, I'd love to talk about this another time, but right now, she needs help!" I shouted at them, getting a little anxious now. Maria began coughing shaky, dry coughs, and I looked down at her, beginning to panic. The a man walked over and kneeled down to take her to the ambulance.

"Stop." I said. "I can do it."

"Sonny, you went through what is commonly known as an adrenaline rush." He began. "That's the only reason you were able to carry" But he stopped talking when I stood up with ease and began walking to the ambulance with her like she weighed nothing.

"Bloody 'ell!" another ambulance man said. "Boy, you"

"If I'm hurt, don't tell me. I don't feel anything right now, but if you tell me, it's gonna hurt." I interrupted.

"At least let us take the girl,"

"Don't. I've got her." I told them. I hopped up into the ambulance, lay Maria down on the gurney, and sat down next to her.

"Boy, you should be in your own ambulance,"

"No! I'll be fine here." I said. "Just, let me stay with her." The man looked at me like he was going to argue, opened his mouth, then sighed.

"Fine. But I'm only letting you do this so you don't exert yourself."

"Thank you sir." I said as he was sitting down. Maria groaned softly in her sleep, and I noticed a few other tiny cuts on her face and arms, covered up by soot and ash.
When the window broke, I thought, lowering my face into my hands.
Oh, Maria. This is all my fault.