The Truth

This is her after!

I cried out and latched my hand onto the strong and unwavering tree root that had caused this mess. Or so I thought. I looked up to find I was clinging to Peter strong tan arm. I began looking around frantically in a panic. He threw his other arm down to me and I grasped it as tight as I could.

"Hang on," he gasped. I nodded to him, gasping for breath. Peter started to pull my arms and I dug my toes into the side of the cliff, trying to climb my way back up. I could see Peter was straining, sweat dripping down his face, and I could feel it loosening our grip on each other. I dug my toes into another spot and began to push up.

Only to have it give way. My left arm flew from Peters grip. I felt myself falling again, for the third time that day and I let out a small scream.

I was suddenly yanked to a halt, and I heard a ripping sound from inside my body. I looked up to see Peter clinging onto my right arm with both hands.

"I've got you!" He gasped through clenched teeth. I threw my other hand up and grasped onto his as I felt something drip down my face. He pulled even harder and I climbed even faster. I finally got my torso over the edge again and Peter let go with one hand. He grabbed the back of the dress near the nape of my neck and yanked me up the rest of the way.

I scrambled away from the edge of the path as far as my body would allow. I pushed myself up against the wall of the path and looked down at the drop off, taking deep, shaking breaths. I felt something else drip down my face. I pulled my knees up to my chest and hugged my face between my knees. I felt a hand land on my shoulder and I yanked my face up, still loaded with adrenaline. Peters sapphire eyes looked down into my own.

"Are you alright?" he said slowly.

"Yeah. I'm," I felt my lower lip quiver, "I'm," I burst out into a fit of sobs. He knelt down next to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"I've got you, I've got you," he said crushing me in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry!" I cried, hanging onto his shoulder. "I'm sorry! This never would have happened if I hadn't run away, and" I kept crying, and I buried my face in his chest.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"It's alright." He said. I peeked my head out and sniffled.

"I bet I look pretty pathetic right now, huh?" I said giving him watery smile.

"No," He said smiling back. "Not at all."

I smiled and wrapped my arms even tighter around him. Our heads both snapped up as we heard footsteps come thundering down the path.

"Here they are!" I heard Edmund shout. The rest of the gang came running down the path.

"Where were you?" Lucy asked.

"What happened?" Susan asked.

I looked up at Peter frightened he would tell them why i ran. He looked down at me. "We were teasing each other and I was chasing her up the path. She turned around and tripped on a tree root. She went over the edge, so I pulled her back up, but she was still a little shaken up." I smiled up at Peter, glad he didn't say anything about the river.

"I would be too!" gasped Lucy. "Are you alright?"

"Ya, I'm okay now," I admitted. Everyone stood for a moment.

"Well, now that that's over with," DLF said, "we should get moving. Its almost sundown. Ifound a camping spot nearby. Its-"

"Its almost sundown?" I asked, jerking my head up to the sky. Sure enough, the sun was slowly dissapearing behind the thick trees. I turned my head the other way to see the moon, bright and full, already rising through the thick folliage.