Uncover

Together they were a secret, a secret that couldn't be exposed. No one could know, and that's how it went. Always.

__ _

"So, Zayn," the man in front of them clicked his tongue, his hands jostling the papers, "how's it goin' with you and Perrie?" Zayn felt the blue eyes burn into the back of his head. Guilt twisted in his stomach when he thought about how he'd have to respond with how much he 'loved' her. He felt the blond boy slowly breaking on the inside. He wanted to reach over and rub soothing circles in his hips and kiss his lips softly, but he couldn't do that.

That was against the 'rules.' The possessive rules that always seemed to get into situations when Niall and Zayn were together. No touching, including hand holding, hugs can't last longer than ten seconds, absolutely no kissing or affectionate touches in public, no hinting of the relationship with any social media or in public, they must stand a few feet away from each other, and under no circumstances, no coming out. Niall and Zayn broke those rules often, more than they should, but it wasn't because they wanted to rebel against the harsh rules, it's because they truly loved each other. It wasn't meant to be some careless provoke when Niall would intertwine his fingers with Zayn's, longer, and darker ones, or when Zayn blew kisses to Niall across the stage. It was pure affection, and they liked to keep it that way. Loving each other.

Zayn felt like he could take on the whole world when Niall sat in his arms, the heavy burdens falling off his tired shoulders. He loved the feeling of the light fluttering of his stomach when he gazed into Niall's morning-sunrise eyes, he loved the way Niall would blush when he'd squeeze his bum secretly, he loved discovering the little quirks of Niall, he purely loved Niall, and Niall was the same.

Niall loved it when Zayn reassured him with his little phrase ('They only keep us hidden because we look too good together.'), Niall loved when Zayn's eyes held this certain feeling of home when Niall felt homesick, he loved Zayn's burnt curry, he loved Zayn's dorky giggle and his morning voice, he loved the contrast of their complexions, he loved everything about Zayn.

They were beautiful, but a secret, a beautiful secret, and no one but their close relatives and friends knew.

They knew from the gazing looks and the yearning hiding behind the smiles. They knew how much Niall didn't want to raise his hand when the interviewer asked who was single, and they knew Zayn didn't want to talk about Perrie, nothing against the female version of Niall, but he despised what he had to do.

He hated seeing the happiness drain out of the eyes he called dear to him, the alluring sparkles lowering to a dull glint. He hated the tears the most. The liquid desperation that always rolled down Niall's milky cheeks when Zayn announced that he'd have to go out with Perrie today instead of staying in. He absolutely hated it, and Perrie knew.

The blond, petite, blue-eyed girl knew. She knew how much it pained Zayn to leave his love behind and go on a dreaded date were he'd fake affection and kiss someone he didn't even love. She knew Zayn hated her, what she had to do, but she knew Zayn didn't blame her. Perrie knew Zayn blamed Management, and not her, and Perrie silently agreed with his banters. The slurred words that sounded with hatred and venom about how, 'We'd get more publicity if we came out!' or, 'I don't even want to do this anymore, if Niall and I can't stand proudly next to each other.' Perrie agreed with most of the statements that he'd mumble to himself while they were on a 'date.' Perrie felt guilty, but she had no control over what string the puppet masters' pulled, that was up to them, but she also knew a rebellion would break free. She could feel it.

A rebellion about pride and freedom over their actions and choices. Zayn and Niall both wanted that. They were just a few mere seconds away from Zayn snapping and shouting to the world that he got frequent blowjobs from his mate, who also turns out to be his long-term boyfriend. Everyone that knew the secret could feel Zayn's internal clock ticking closer to an explosion as another date with 'Zerrie' showed up on his feed or when a 'Zerrie' question was asked during an interview. Everyone sat anxious when this happened. They'd check his twitter to see if he finally broke the ultimate rule or they'd cautiously eye Zayn to see if his lips would twitch and he'd finally shout those words he wanted to with no care about Management. No one trusted Zayn but Niall. Hell, Niall trusted that boy with his life and Niall was full aware that Zayn knew his limits that were practiced by Management.

Those limits, however, broke when the moon was blinding and the stars were hiding. They burned brightly, whether it was under the sheets or just sitting next to each other. On each other's shoulders, they could reach the sky of infinity, and they would never change. The small kisses and silly traditions they made wouldn't change if they came out. They wouldn't care about the stares, they wouldn't notice the anger. They'd never change.

The secret was like soggy, hard gum that Zayn had been chewing for two weeks straight. He desperately wanted to spit the secret out, show and tell everyone about the secret that sat in his stomach, heavy and nauseating. Sometimes it was so overwhelming that Zayn couldn't even get up in the mornings. No matter how much Niall would shove and pester him, Zayn wouldn't crawl out of his pit of blankets. Zayn was so desperate to release the secret that depression crept around the corners of his brain, and when depression pounced on him, he couldn't escape it. Not even Niall's kisses or small smiles could help, and when that happened Niall reached his own problems.

Niall would begin to feel withdraw from affection. He would cuddle himself at any moment, and savored anyone's touch. Niall would begin to sleep in random places, instead of the bed, like on the limestone countertops or on the kitchen table or the carpet in the hallway in search of something comforting. He'd try anything and everything new to try and get some kind of affection or happiness, but it would never reach him. Niall would begin to sink into his own depression, and they'd grow further apart, and that was never good. That meant more meaningless arguments and unnecessary shed tears. That meant thoughts of taking a break or just ending it all together, but someone one would cave-in, usually that person being Niall. He'd show Zayn that he did care and that he did want to keep going out, sometimes, he'd even let Zayn do something out of the blue to make him happy, like that one time Niall let Zayn buy a fridge with a wooden shell because it reminded Zayn of Narnia and it made him happy. Niall would do anything to make Zayn happy, and he knew that he'd get something in return.

Zayn would shower him in attention, just what Niall craved, and most times this meant sloppy make-up sex, but Niall still appreciated it. Niall loved to walk around proudly with the new hickeys and his waddle, but Management knew how to break his happiness with layers of make-up and stretches.

So that's why Zayn moved his hand to pull down the white t-shirt, showing his collarbones, and licked his thumb. Slowly the tan thumb removed all the make-up and revealed the red hickey. Zayn's stomach fluttered with butterflies, more like full grown hawks, when he felt the mood change. The interviewer hissed through his teeth, a smirk on his lips, "Oh, Zayn, what have you been doing?"

"Niall."

The interviewer choked a bit, a gurgled cough catching in his throat, "E-Excuse me?!" Zayn placed the smirk on his lips this time, and pointed his index finger towards the petite blond boy, "I, Zayn, have been doing him, Niall." The interviewer fanned himself with his papers while Liam whistled and Louis and Harry tackled Niall. Zayn could hear the fans screaming loudly from outside the walls of the station. After the interviewer was done with his fit, be bugged his eyes out at the Pakistani boy, "So," a cough, "you and Niall are together?" Zayn nodded with pride, strong hands scooping Niall into his lap, "We're Ziall." The interviewer briskly nodded and waved his hand, "So, tell us who tops and bottoms?"

Zayn kissed Niall's temple, "That doesn't matter, but what does matter is that we've uncovered."

And that's when we uncover..