Chapter 9

(Ryan's POV)

"What do you think?" I ask Matt as we leave the gym. It's nearing half four and I'm anxious to get back to Ruby. I hate leaving her on her own.

Ever since I went back to football last week I feel guilty about leaving her by herself. Not only that, but I can't help but worry about her the entire time.

"I'm telling you, man. It's a great idea," Matt replies, climbing into the drivers seat of his pick up after we sling our bags into the back. "But, I don't think you'll have enough time to pull it off."

"Don't worry, bro. I have it all covered."

"I thought you said you wanted to have it tomorrow?" He looks at me skeptically, as if I don't really know what I'm talking about.

"Yeah, I know. Which is why I started organizing it last week."

"Last week? But you only just asked me about it now!"

"Yeah, and?" I stifle a laugh at his grumpy expression.

"Dude, I'm your best friend. How come I'm only hearing about this now?"

"Do you really need me to answer that?" I ask. He shoots me a glare and I can't help but throw my head back and laugh at his childishness.

It's no secret that Matt can't keep anything from his sister.

***

"Honey, I'm home!" Matt calls loudly as he flings the front door of the house open.

"Shut up, you doufs. She's probably asleep," I say, punching him lightly on his arm.

"Ow!"

"Actually, she's awake," Ruby calls from the kitchen. Matt sticks his tongue out at me before making his way into the kitchen towards his sister. He better keep his mouth shut!

The smell of vanilla and lemon welcomes us as we enter the kitchen.

"Hiya, sis," he says, plopping himself onto a stool at the counter.

"Hi," she smiles back.

"Hey," I say, making my way around the breakfast bar and wrapping my arms around her from behind, before placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Hey," she replies shyly. I think it's cute that she acts shy with me when her family are around; particularly Matt.

I turn her around in my arms and place a soft kiss on her lips before crouching down to kiss her belly.

"Ew! Stop with the PDA," Matt says dramatically, covering his eyes. "There are innocent eyes in this room!"

"She's not even born yet, Matt." Ruby says.

"I was talking about my eyes."

"They're far from innocent!"

Matt scoffs.

I glance around the kitchen; sprinkles of flour along the counter and the pile of dishes and baking trays by the sink indicate that Ruby's been baking. I turn to look in the oven and see two trays of cupcakes that look absolutely delicious.

"You've been baking," I say, facing her once more. I told her that she wasn't suppose to be on her feet, especially not when she's on her own. "Ruby, how many times do I have to tell you that you're suppose to be relaxing?"

"Ryan, it's just baking. It's not as if I was running a marathon. I'm pregnant, remember?"

"Oh, I remember," I tell her as she moves towards the oven. "I think it's you that's forgotten that." She opens up the oven to take the tray out. "Let me do that. Go sit down."