28 Car Chase Time

Start from the beginning

A loud crack is followed almost instantaneously by another. The headlights of their car light up the bullet hole in both the back and front windshields as well the glass spiderwebs around each hole.

I send a silent prayer upward. I'm not sure what I'm asking for.

Vienna pulls off her jacket and wraps it around her hand.

I know what she's planning. "Don't—"

She holds up her other arm so I can see her Expiration Date. "We'll all live."

She smashes the windshield, and I raise my arm to shield my eyes from flying glass. I hear the shot of their gun and duck farther down.

Vienna returns fire. Y can't die and neither can Eun-seob, but I can. If I don't pull myself together, I'll wind up killed from a bullet or when Erik's forced off the road.

My sleeves help to shield my arms from the shards of glass, but the shards still dig into my skin. I set my sights on one of their front tires. I'm going to guess Y's driving and Eun-seob is shooting: Eun-seob's never been the best shot, but I doubt he had much time to learn how to handle a vehicle in car chases. I never did.

Before I pull the trigger, buildings blur by as we enter Westerton, and I feel the car slow underneath me. Erik makes a sharp turn, and I slam against the window. My fingers tighten in an attempt not to let go of the gun. There are people on the sidewalks.

"I haven't heard much shooting," Erik snaps.

Using my foot to push off the door, I right myself. Eun-seob and Y want what's best for the public. They wouldn't risk shooting a civilian.

"Iris!"

As I feel Erik beginning to swerve, I grab onto the headrest. "I don't want to hit someone."

"That's kind of the point."

"Let her be." Vienna wipes a trembling hand across her forehead. "Colton's behind them. If we can stop them, Colton will be able to handle them."

"Why is he behind us?" Erik accelerates when we pass the town's sign.

"Why do you think?"

Was Colton worried about Vienna or was he spying?

If the rebels are caught, they'll be tortured. They won't die though. My finger hovers over the trigger. That only means the torture can go on for a very long time.

A bullet flies over my head, tearing into the passenger headrest of the front seat. The headrest I would have been using if Erik hadn't told me to get in the back. Sweat breaks out on my hands. While the bullet doesn't seem to have gone all the way through, it could have easily, and I could have still been sitting there. This is why we could never have nice things growing up. Everything was always used for target practice. Any dolls I had would go missing, and I'd find them the next day when I'd throw out my food in the trashcan, their head and body separated. Their heads would have holes from pellets. To put it nicely they looked terrifying. My head could have been like those dolls.

Exiting Westerton means we're back in the mountains. I really hope Erik remembers he has to slow down on curves. This time when I pray, I know exactly what I'm asking for. I'm already being shot at and don't feel like rolling down the side of a mountain.

I try hitting their front tire, but as my finger touches the trigger, Erik flies around a curve, and I'm slung into Vienna. The gun falls out of my hand. "A little warning next time."

Vienna pushes me off her, and I start feeling for the gun, glass leaving little nicks in my palms. I locate it underneath Erik's seat. I again take up my position and lean forward. This has to end now. I take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger. The gun's bang is followed by an ear-splitting pop that echoes throughout the mountains. Their tire. I hit it.