Chapter 10

It wasn't long after her father had left that someone rang the bell. Quickly she wiped a few tears away, even though her puffy eyes gave away that she had cried. Since Scarlett had a habit of entering her apartment without announcing her arrival, she assumed that it was someone else; maybe some neighbor who had heard that her boyfriend had died and wanted to offer his or her condolences.

As she opened the door, she was surprised by Venus' innocent eyes. "Hey sweetheart." She briefly glanced at Abigail's face; then she spread her arms. "Come here..."

Although she wished she was done crying for the day, she felt her lips tremble and took the offer, longing for a comforting embrace.

Soothingly, Venus rubbed her shoulder blades. "I'm so sorry baby. Juice was such a sweet boy. Alexander is devastated, although he tries to hide it."

"He is?" she asked surprised.

"Yes, too many of his friends have lost their lives those days. I think he always had a soft spot for Juice – who wouldn't? Because of the mistakes he has made himself, he has a more forgiving heart than some of the others. He however saves his pain for me; he is too afraid to step on someone's toes by mourning a brother who they consider as a rat."

Abigail pressed her lips together, holding the woman a little tighter. Once it had been love that had defined the club, but that was long gone. There was no room for mistakes, for forgiveness, for trust... The brotherhood that had made them all so proud once, was completely broken. All that was left, was a group of embittered men who desperately tried to hold on to the shatters of a broken dream, pretending things were still the same as years ago.

"Thank you," she whispered. Knowing that at least one of the Sons mourned for Juice, really did something to her. "For paying me a visit and for telling me this."

She knew Tig had done some unspeakable things in the past and that Jax was keeping him on a leash like he had done with Juice, which reminded her of the fact that they had been in the same boat. Even though he was still alive and a member, she knew Jax would keep pushing him until he lost it. By now she knew that Jax had forced Juice to murder an innocent girl, knowing fully well that he could never handle such a thing, and that Juice had broken down when Nero had interrogated him as to what had happened to the girl, being aware of his vulnerability.

"Don't thank me, dear. I wish I could do more for you than just giving you a hug. When your father showed up in the clubhouse, I just knew you shouldn't be alone right now."

Abigail showed her a watery smile. "It's a mess inside, but do you wanna come in?"

"Sure. I live with Alexander, I have a little bit of experience with messy homes," she winked.

Abigail led her to the living room and got the both of them a glass of water. Tig was dating the woman for a few months now, but her kindness kept surprising her. She really had a heart of gold.

"That's a beautiful ring you got there, sweetheart." Venus smiled as she took the glass from Abigail.

The corners of her lips curled up. "I found it in his drawer an hour ago, when I was packing our stuff." Again the tears were itching in her eyes. "I still can't believe he's gone," she whispered. "That he will never see me wearing this ring. The promise of his love."

Venus raked a hand through Abigail's hair and kissed her forehead. "True love is eternal, baby. I believe that he's somewhere looking down at you, with a proud smile on his face because you have answered his deepest desire by wearing that ring."

Abigail leaned with her head against the woman's shoulder, wishing it was true.

But maybe it was. Who could tell.

"I should go," she said. "I'm sorry. I have to pick up his sister and mother from the airport. The viewing is tonight."

"You're not in a condition to drive. Let me take you there, doll."

Abigail's first instinct was to dismiss the offer, but she also realized that she might be too emotional for a long drive, not to mention that the prospect to meet Juice's mother under these circumstances was causing a knot of nerves in her stomach that she could barely handle.

"Okay," she nodded. "Thanks, again."

"And again; no need to thank me." The woman squeezed her hand and stood up. "It's the least I can do."