Chapter 20

"You get nothing out of revenge. It doesn't fill the void, it only turns us into the ones we've come to despise."

The words didn't leave Juice's mind. There was absolutely a grain of truth in them. He could bring Tully to this place, he could let the man rape Jax until he felt just as damaged and dehumanized as Juice did, craving for the relief of death. But it wouldn't change a damn thing about his own pain. The abuse wouldn't be erased from his memories. On the contrary: he would become like Jax, like Tully. A rapist — or someone who allowed rape without blinking an eye. Would Abigail love him if he became such a monster? 

He knew she wouldn't. He could never look her in the eye again. 

Her protection should be his priority. His purpose in life — if one could still call it that way without having a beating heart. And so, that was what he was focusing on. Little by little he learned how to bury his pain; by looking forward, by keeping in mind why he was doing this. Dark creatures were looking for Abigail, meaning to kill her. Opie was one of them, soulless and under the power of evil. 

In the castle gardens, he practiced with the various powers that were given to him after waking up in the morgue. Super speed. Transformation into a bat. Ephraim taught him martial arts. During his life, he'd spent a lot of time in the ring, but almost all of his brothers had forced him on his knees. This time, his reflexes were better, he was stronger, his movements more fluently. He learned how to blend into the shadows and to return to his own shape a few moments later; a distraction only a few mortals could defend themselves against. After a few weeks of practice, he felt a tingling sensation in his fingertips, after which claws appeared with which he could slash someone's throat in one movement. 

Ephraim smiled at him at passing that stage. 

"That's a good sign, Juice. Such a thing only happens when your grudge is no longer in the way." The man winked at him. "Something even Scarlett barely manages to succeed in."

Juice leaned on his knees. Even though he was in better shape, he was still panting because of the fight. "Where is she anyway?"

Juice hadn't seen her in days. She hadn't been happy with his decision to be no longer controlled by vengeance. More than once she'd tried to fuel the hatred by reminding him of what Jax had done to him and how he deserved to suffer, but Juice had been determined. 

He wanted Abigail back. 

Wasn't that the ultimate vengeance? Being with the love of his life while Jax was withering away in a dungeon where nobody would find him? While the man longed for death — his only way to be reunited with his own lover? All Juice would have to do was chasing his own happiness and let his love guide him. 

"She stays close to Abigail, so she can alarm us when the Soulless find her."

"Don't you think they will stay in the shadows when they see Scarlett? They know who she is, right?"

"That isn't something you need to worry about, Juice. Just keep practicing."

"And when will I see her?" Juice couldn't help it; his voice trembled. He might be able to control his anger and pain, but he failed to control his emotions when it came to Abigail. 

"Once you have eliminated the danger."

Juice stared at the man in disbelief. "I have to eliminate the Soulless? Alone?"

"Not all of them. You have only one target."

A shiver crept down his spine. "Opie?"

Ephraim nodded slowly. "If you give him his second death and prove that you're able to put the past behind you, you're ready to become part of Abigail's life again."

Juice felt torn apart. Sure — he would do anything to hold Abigail in his arms again. But letting Opie die a second death? While he was pretty much the only brother he didn't hate? "Why me? Why not someone stronger? Someone like you?"

"Because this is the path you have to take, Juice. This has always been your destiny."

There was a nagging feeling in his stomach. 

What if Abigail found out he killed Opie? Would she believe him when he told her that Opie had been lost, that there had been no way back to the light? An even more pressing question came up. Did he really believe that there was no redemption for Opie? Or was he too blind to see that someone was playing him again