Chapter 2

The dreams had been getting worse. More realistic, more gruesome – and it was getting harder and harder to force them out of her mind. The images were driving her mad; she would wake up screaming at the top of her lungs, raking her nails down her arms, tearing the skin or trying to suffocate herself with her pillow, crying. It had gone from bad to worse – and Juice wasn't there to calm her down.

The bed was empty, cold. How many days had passed since Tara had been murdered? Since Juice had disappeared? Since that day, her father had been shutting her out, refusing to tell her anything that was going on with the club. She had no idea how much time had passed – everything seemed to be going by in a daze and all she could do, was stare out the front window, waiting.

Abigail knew what had happened. She wasn't stupid; she had enough experience with the club to know that Juice had done something stupid. Maybe he had ratted. Again. It made her furious; at the club, at Juice, at her father but mostly at herself. She had known he was struggling with something, but she had accepted his silence. Whatever he had done – she believed that it had been an act of despair, just like last time. He loved the club – more than he loved anything, probably even her. He would never want to hurt his brothers, someone must have forced him into a corner, and his anxiety had taken control of his mind.

She curled up into a little ball, pulling the blanket over her shoulder. Where was he now? Was he alone? She knew he hated being alone. Why did he have to hide from her? Didn't he trust her? Last time she had kept his secret and they hadn't been as long together as they were now.

Suddenly a hand stroked her hair. Immediately she sat up straight, opening her eyes. "Juice?!"

Disappointed, she looked into Scarlett's face.

"It's me, honey. Sorry."

With shoulders slumped, she sighed deeply. Her friend wrapped her arms around her and pulled her close.

"I guess you haven't found him?"

"No, I didn't. But that's a good thing, right? It means they won't find him either."

Abigail pulled up her knees, wrapping her arms around them. "What if I never see him again? If he just... disappears?" She blinked away her tears. "I would have gone with him. Why did he want to do this alone?"

"You know why. He would never want you to live like a fugitive, or for you to have to betray your father."

Abigail stared at the blanket. Betraying her father. She would have done it – and she didn't even feel guilty about it. She had never came first to him, the club had always been more important. This time it wouldn't be any different. If he found Juice, he would agree with his fate, despite the fact that it would destroy her.

"Come, lay down." Scarlett compelled, pushing her back into the bed, her arms still wrapped around Abigail. The girl turned her on her side, being the big spoon. Right above the neck of her nightdress, the woman pressed a kiss. "I stay with you, I'll keep the nightmares away."

Sniffling, Abigail breathed in. Feeling those arms around her only made her miss Juice more. Still Scarlett had a calming influence on her, especially when she started to sing softly, petting Abigail's black hair. Her eyelids suddenly felt heavy, as she sunk into a deep sleep.

Without nightmares, like Scarlett had promised her.

. . .

When she woke up again, she was still in her friend's embrace. Quietly she freed herself from Scarlett's arms, but the slight movement disturbed Scarlett's sleep. She sat up straight, a friendly smile crossing her lips. Even though Abigail still felt tired, her friend looked as energetic as always. Her blue eyes were alert, her almost white curls looked to be in perfect shape.

"How did you sleep?" Scarlett asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Okay, I guess."

"You see? I told you I would keep away the nightmares." She cupped Abigail's jaw with her hand. Even though she had just been under a blanket, her hand felt ice cold. Although they had known each other for years, she had never gotten used to those cold hands. "And let me tell you this too: don't worry about Juice. He'll be all right."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I just know certain things." She gave her a wink. "I know this is hard for you, but you'll get through this. One day you will hold him in your arms again. I promise you – and you know I never break a promise."

Scarlett was looking so intensely at her that she blushed a bit. She didn't dare to doubt her words.

But when she received a message a few days later, telling her that the Mayans had Juice and were handing him over to the Sons, all hope died.