Chapter 4

There was nothing anymore – not even pain. He stared at the bars, not even knowing if someone was really raping him right now or that it were the countless memories that refused to leave his mind. It felt like his soul had started to free itself from his body, leaving him numb, leaving him cold.

He just wanted to be done with it. Done with this life. His life.

He had done what his brothers had asked, he had told Jax the truth about Tara and Gemma. The thought that all his brothers hated him and wished him this fate, had crushed his heart. The little pieces that had been left of it, after Abigail's final kiss.

Abigail...

The thought of her was the only thing that kept him sane – at times. He had carved her smile into his memory, her soft touches, her whispered words. He however knew his days were counted. He longed for his end, but at the same time he feared the influence that it would have on Abigail. Or would she be glad that his suffering was over, that he had found peace? If he would find peace... He didn't even bother to pray anymore, he knew his sins were unforgivable. He hoped there wasn't even a god, he just wanted silence, the eternal void.

Suddenly he felt fingers gliding across his scalp. He tensed, knowing the man's whispers would follow soon, reading his sick love poems.

"Juice..."

It wasn't Tully's voice. It was a woman who was sitting next to him, a woman he knew. Dazed, he sat up straight. The moment he saw Scarlett's pale face, he knew that it wasn't real. It was a dream, or a hallucination. It was impossible that she was here. But why was she the one comforting him? Did it mean that Abigail was letting go of him, that she had made peace with her forthcoming loss? He loved her, with all of his heart. Maybe one could feel when his soulmate was slipping away.

"Hey, look at me."

Scarlett's fingers touched his cheek. Again he tensed – every touch freaked him out. He never wanted to be touched again, by no one. Not after what had happened to him since he was here.

"I promised Abigail that I would save you."

"Save me?" he repeated, his throat feeling sore. "There's nothing left to save."

"Your love. For her."

He bowed his head.

A hand pressed against his chest, pushing him down on the bed. The girl leaned over him, her cold lips gliding down his neck. Juice tried to push her away, even though he knew this wasn't real. Nevertheless it felt like he was cheating, the fact that he didn't desire her didn't change that.

Suddenly the smell of roses surrounded him. Scarlett held his glance, her irises became flaming red. His breathing faltered.

"Let me care for you, Juice," she whispered. "Let me give you everything, before you lose it all."

It was like her eyes had petrified him, he couldn't move anymore. His breathing fell heavier as her lips traveled down his neck again. He wanted to raise protests, reminding her that Abigail was her best friend, but his tongue was paralyzed.

Suddenly there was a sharp sting in the crook of his neck. Was she – was she biting him? Things became even weirder when she started to suck his skin. Instead of blood leaving his body, it felt like something was streaming inside his body. It spread through his veins, awakened his limbs again. He wanted to sit up straight, but her hand forced him down and she turned out to be unbelievably strong.

As she moved away her face from his neck, blood was trickling down her chin. With a swift movement, her tongue swiped it away. Her eyes were still red as ruby's, sending shivers through his body.

His jaw dropped down. He didn't even know what to say.

And why would he say anything? This was just the weirdest dream he had ever had.

Scarlett's fingers stroked his cheek. "One more day. One more day and all this will be over." She kissed his forehead and stood up. "Stay strong. You're a good man. Dead will not be the end." She gave him a mysterious smile. "Not for you."

Then she spun around. Within the blink of an eye, she was gone.

No, not gone. His eye caught a glimpse of a bat, before it disappeared in the shadows.

Juice stared forward, his hand reaching for the wound in his neck. His fingertips touched a smooth skin, but he could still feel the pain, as if only the outer skin had healed.

Then he shook his head and laid down again, disappointment filling his heart. It felt so real... he wished Abigail had been here, instead of her scary friend. If he looked deep into his heart, he had to admit that she had always given him the creeps. But why she was the one that his messed up head had called to his cell, was a mystery.