The Letter

(Present Day: 2026)

The following is what appears to be a letter found on the bottom of the forest floor, hidden among a pile of aged bricks. The paper is yellow and crumpled,and the ink is smudged. There is a date in the upper corner: 4th of November 1715. You pick it up. It is addressed to you: 

Reader,

I encourage you to remember these words after you have read them thoroughly. All I ask is for open-mindedness. My sincerest thanks.

...I believe that the trees are all that I shall ever see; they are my life that shall always be: Hidden away in the shadow of leaves...never to be a part of civilization again.

I am forever isolated.

A monster.

Legends say monsters are real—that they disclose themselves only to run about in the night and bathe in the blood of humans. They say that monsters are creations of the devil, their only purpose to wreak havoc on mankind as punishment for their sins.

If monsters could have a word, however, there would be an entirely different story; a new legend would be written. For monsters are not what man believes them to be, as surprising as that may sound. They look different--that is most agreeable--but their hearts are no less compassionate, loving, nor strong.

Why are monsters considered "malevolent?" How did humans gather together such a fable?

Well, dear reader, I have learned a few great facts from hundreds of years of discrimination and pain:

There is a reason for all the bad done in life.

There is a reason why some monsters look the way they do.

Please, don't look too deep. Do not try and befriend us anymore. Do not attempt diplomacy. It never will work again. Most of us are quite distrustful now. Bad things have happened because of human interaction. Some have no choice but to be what is considered, "malevolent." Human beings have hurt all of us, separated us from society like ingrates, and have murdered our family members as if they were the most incredible criminals. They were innocent young men, women, and children; husbands, wives, sons, daughters...

They all just wanted to keep themselves and their families safe...

I too, want to keep my family safe...

I shall convey one last thought to whomever holds this in their hand and is careful to take heed to what I have written here:

We are not the monsters here—we never were. Humans have always been the real monsters.

With regards to a civilization to which I still have hope for,

Princess Athelyna of the Kingdom of Ebbot

----------

A strong feeling overtakes you, and it stirs in your soul like a powerful storm:

A sense of adventure.

A wave of sadness.

A passing shoot of anger at the prospect of evildoers attacking the innocent. 

Shivers of doubt race down your spine and you start to believe this is none of your business--just drop the note and leave.

The doubt disappears as soon as it came.

It is replaced with a fierce sense of determination to finish the story you believed you had just started to get into.

You believe that there is a bigger story just waiting to unfold before you.

Well, you know what to do.