1 • Fear

Hey.

Can you hear me ?

Are you alright ?

Hey.

Don't pass out.

I need to leave for now.

But.

I'm sure that we can meet again.

I'm sure that we would be able to meet again.

~•~•~•~

FEARan unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm.

Mixed with the smell of the blood, it was the feeling which was spreading all over the village you just entered.

'Help.'
'Please.'
'Save me.'

You could still hear the last words of the people who were once living happily here. These sounds were probably an illusion but for now it was hard for you to ignore them. It was hard for you to not think of them.

If only you arrived here a minute ago you'd have definitely saved the villagers.

But.

You can't go back in time.

All you could do for now were to avenge them so their soul can rest in peace.

Walking through the main road of the village, you were searching the one who was responsible for the tragedy who had occurred.

"He's near."

Your instinct, who never failed to help you, told you that. The demon is here, hided somewhere. But. Where?

You will be the sixty-seventh humans and the eleventh demon slayers that I'm going to eat, a voice said from behind your back. It's dinner time!

The demon came from nowhere. You didn't have time to realized his position that he was already behind you, ready to harm you.

"Fast !"

Thanks to your reactivity you dodged the arm he raised to attacked you. If you hadn't, you'd probably be dead now.

You're good! he yelled happily. No one ever lived after the first hit! How long will you stay alive?

The monster of the night smiled to you, extending his mouth at the extreme.

Hey, don't run away!

As if you'll listen to him...

You ran through the forest, avoiding every tree in your sight. You still didn't know the power of the demon but you could tell that fighting in his playground was not a good idea. That's why you decided to run outside the village. But it wasn't the only reasons. When the demon surprised you, you saw the shadow of a little boy crying in a little alley between two houses. Fighting here would make him in danger and it wasn't something you wanted.

I'm not going to let you escape, the demons said from behind. You're going to die here and now. It's a promise.

At his words you stopped, turning to his direction. He's a few meters from you, three to be exact. The demon looked like a 20 years old man. He was tall but didn't have developed muscles. Behind his green kimono is probably a skeleton-like body. But, even if he's looking like that, he's definitely not weak at all. After all, it was him who killed by himself at least tenth Demon Slayer Tenth of your comrades.

You're done running away? he asked with condescending tone. Then it's dinner time!

The demon was yelling as he sped up to you, his arms becoming larger than they were.

𝔹𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟 𝕋𝕖𝕔𝕙𝕟𝕚𝕢𝕦𝕖 : 𝕊𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕘𝕥𝕙 𝕌𝕡.

While he was running at your direction, you didn't move an inch. Your body stay still and your sword were still in his sheath. Your opponent was swinging his arms like a merry-go-round. The more he did, the more he gained strengths.

DIE HUMAN.

...

"Fifth?"

...

"Fourth?"

...

"Third?"

...

"Second?"

...

"No."

...

One second before he reached you, your sword connected with his throat horizontally

One second before he reached you, your sword connected with his throat horizontally. A cut so clean and so fast that the blood took a second before spilling in all directions. It was like his body didn't understand that the head wasn't anymore attached at the rest of the body. When his head fall to the ground he started yelling again and again the same word.

Die. Die. Die.

...

I'll never forgive you! Never! You're all the same! Always hating me without reasons! You never try to understand me!

"Hating him without reasons?"

You didn't know what he meant but there was something you were sure about: the people that he killed had a good reason to hate him.

What a poor excuse, you thought. A few hours ago, and for years, you were eating humans without any guilt. How can you say these words? How can someone who never paid attention to others feeling can asked for people to understand him?

Answer me, human! Say a damn word!

I won't answer you nor listen to you anymore, you sighed as you walked away to the village.

You masked human! Show me at least the face that's hiding behind this mask!

Why?

Why should you do it for him?

No.

He didn't deserve to see your face.

No one deserved to see your face.

It's better if it's hidden.

Hidden behin-

Thank you... he said while crying. I'll never forget your face... Demon Slayer of the Sand.