A Close Call

I can't believe you're actually making me do this, I text Max.

Come on. I need this. I'll pay you double, he replies.

I sit for a moment, pondering his offer. Fine. Where do you want me to meet you?

I already sent a car. Should be there any minute.

I sigh and get up from my seat at the airport. I grip the handle of my black snakeskin suitcase and begin to walk toward the exit, my heels clacking against the tile floor. Max insisted that I come see him while he was in Cleveland playing the Indians. I must say, it's not as crazy or as far as other trips I have taken for him. I really shouldn't complain--I mean, he is paying me extra.

A warm breeze smothers my face and blows my black curls behind me as the sliding doors open for me. I scan the area, looking for my driver. I spot him and walk over, smiling.

"Hello," I say kindly, stepping beside the door.

"Hello, Miss Strong. Welcome to Cleveland." The driver--an older white man wearing a black suit--opens the backseat door for me, then taking my suitcase to put in the trunk. "Where to?" He asks, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

"Do you know if there are any Cirilla's around here?" I ask, not even blinking.

His eyes darken in disbelief. "I may have to look that one up..."

Turns out, there is a Cirilla's on the way to the hotel. I force the driver to sit in the parking lot while I go into the sex shop. The door jingles as I step into the small building. I make eye contact with the woman at the cash register and smile pleasantly. Then I get to work. I pick up some handcuffs, a riding crop, flogger, a ball gag and some some new garters (a client of mine destroyed my other pair).

"Will this be all?" The woman asks me in a chirpy voice.

"Yes." I whip out my shiny debit card and hand it to her. She rings up the items one by one and then hands them to me in a large bag. "Have a nice day." I exit the store and walk confidently to the town car. "I'm ready to go to the hotel now."

"Very well..." the driver sighs.

I step out of the car, my Cirilla's bag in hand, and I come around to the back of the car to get my suitcase from the driver. I tip him generously and thank him for his discretion.

"Mr. Scherzer said that your room key will be available at the front desk. Enjoy your stay here." He slams the trunk and quickly gets into the car.

I smirk and begin to pull my suitcase behind me toward the hotel. I step through the doors and walk up to the front desk.

"Welcome! You must be Miss Strong!" The perky woman behind the desk says, flashing a forceful smile.

"Yes, I am..."

"Well, here's your two keys to the two rooms." She hands me two plastic cards.

"Two rooms?" I ask, confused.

"Yes, the one is for Mr. Scherzer's room and the other is for your room. It looks like you will be staying two nights with us."

"Oh," I murmur, trying to hide my embarrassment and rage. "Thank you," I say, clearing my throat.

"You're welcome. If you need anything, just let me know!"

I grip the two keys in my fist as I get on the elevator. I hit the '3' button and exhale through my nose. I decide to stop by Max's room first to... chat with him.

I knock on the door, trying not to bang my fist against it too hard. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"What?" Max asks, puzzled. It looks like he just got out of the shower--his hair is touseled and damp.