Just A Test

"No!" There was a honk. Y/N's head started to turn to see the approaching taxi. Her eyes opened wide. And then there were fingers on her wrist and Jin pulled her back onto the curb. He had moved so fast he was off-balance and both of them tumbled to the ground.

But at least it wasn't the road. "Oof." It was a little harder to fall properly when you were trying to use your body as a cushion for the woman wrapped up in your arms.

"Jin-hyung!" Namjoon crouched next to him, eyes full of concern, looking him over for any damage. But Jin had only one focus. He had to have this woman. Even in this small exchange he'd just become more convinced that she was perfect for what he needed. So he ignored Namjoon and his words rushed out.

"Ms. Y/LN, it was a test, it was a test. Just a test." Y/N had been stunned for a minute, one second trying to get away from the man now holding her, the next in his arms and...well, not dead. She wasn't sure she was happy about that.

"You should've let it hit me." She mumbled to a shocked Jin, who couldn't believe he'd heard her words correctly. But before he could question her she wiggled out of his arms and sat up, glaring down at him.

"Test?" Her tone didn't fill him with confidence.

'We need a secretary that Jin...Mr. Kim can trust. We've had problems in the past so we test everyone who makes it to the job interview stage." Y/N scooted away from them, but she wasn't running. "We apologize, we weren't trying to scare you or make you feel sick. It's something we feel is necessary for the stability of our....company." Namjoon almost slipped but caught himself. "You passed. The job's yours. If you want it." Jin sat up, watching her face. A few bystanders were standing around but one look from Namjoon and they found something else to do. He may look like a simple businessman but his eyes hinted at something darker, something that made people uncomfortable. So they looked away.

Y/N bit her lip. Jin had his hands off her and Namjoon was keeping a respectful distance.

"So that guy's not actually like that in real life."

"Only to women he pays first." Jin said cheerily, earning a look from Namjoon. Way to convince her to join the company, his look said. Y/N's eyes narrowed but she looked down, wheels turning. She needed the money. It was a good-paying job. It was why she'd applied for it in the first place, in addition to the schools she'd sent her resume to. But...

She was very uncomfortable with the behavior she'd seen thus far. Namjoon and Jin might have had good intentions in trying to clear up a misunderstanding but their behavior still crossed a line in her mind.

"I need to think about it." She said finally. Jin held a frustrated sigh back as Namjoon pulled out a business card and handed it to her. "Call and let us know your decision.". He shot Jin another look that told him to back off and Jin, remembering why Namjoon was part of his team in the first place, listened.
Y/N decided to skip her job interview today. She was now too frazzled to give a good impression. She walked back to the apartment, eyeing the business card.
Kim Namjoon
Operational Chief
Kim Exports and Holdings
-
She was still eyeing the business card that evening, in the dim light shining through the crack between her currents, the soft snores of her siblings filling the room.
She didn't get to do what she wanted anymore, she had three children to watch out for. This job was really good. Competitive salary, good family benefits, she could afford language tutors for the kids with this wage. When her lease was up, probably even move to a bigger apartment.
She sighed. And made her decision.