The Words Always Rhyme in The End

you're welcome

Summary: There has never, possibly in the history of soulmates, been a couple less destined than Jade and Perrie.

From the start, the universe is propelling them apart, setting them up as easy rivals.

- 1

They're five and four respectively, but peewee soccer is very much a competitive sport. And Jade's never taken all that well to losing, even a practice match that literally meant nothing Perrie will tease her one day when they're older, when they've learned not to hate each other.

They only ever see each other at matches that are few and far between, but they are nemeses, and everyone knows it. A hair pulling fight once gets them both ejected from a game in the fourth grade- Jade's team won, which she was smug about until Perrie pointed out they'd succeeded without her whereas Perrrie was clearly the star of her team (this had reinstigated the hair pulling).

- 2

They're finally at the same school when middle school rolls around, and you'd think playing for the same team (lol) would make things easier.

But you'd be wrong. Oh, so wrong.

Perrie likes to be the one to score the goals. Jade also likes to be the one to score the goals. But neither of them can when they're running into each other and stealing the ball, or tripping the other, or any sort of sabotaging they can manage.

Coach does not like this. So, Coach decides to make them Co-captains to force them to work together. But Coach is incredibly naïve about how preteen girls who also happen to be soulmates interact, and she only makes things worse.

They still can't quite bring themselves to share the ball, and a shoving match in the mud leaves them suspended and in detention together longer than either would like.

Jade gets a bruise on her side that she secretly thinks is cool, and she finds herself thinking of Perrie in a not so hate induced rage when she looks at it in the mirror or strokes across it in the darkness when she's laying in her bed. It's kinda nice. And Perrie, well she's always thought Jade looked kinda nice.

Perrie starts the next fight on purpose just so she can end up in detention next to Jade for an extra hour and a half.

- 3

They'd worked out their issues on the field by high school (a passion filled few hours during a training camp in the summer ensured this), but only on the field. Grades and boys and girls were still highly contested issues.

Jade is first in their class as it stands, and Perrie is second, but it's not graduation so I still have a chance, bitch. Jade rolls her eyes when she hears this, and she has heard it multiple times, but Perrie never follows through on the threat to overtake her. So she lets herself enjoy the little look of determination in her eyes. It's almost cute, really. But she did say almost mind you.

They still hip check the other into lockers whenever the chance arises, but they've managed to become quite the team on the field, and thanks to the both of them they go undefeated junior.

Perrie flirts with some girl at a party whose name she doesn't even technically know, and Jade takes it upon herself to be outraged (Perrie had known she would).

Jade drags her away by the arm, blunt nails digging, hurting in a way that makes her blush with how good it feels. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were jealous." Perrie is cocky and smug, and God, she looks really hot smirking like that.

Jade is jealous. Perrie knows this to be true, but not for the reason she thinks. And Perrie is as legitimately stunned as Jade is when Jade yanks her in for a harsh kiss.