3 | River of Tears

Start from the beginning

I have never seen Page cry before.

What was happening was such an incredibly strange, unpredictable scenario, it took me, literally, by surprise. The only thing I could do was stop on my tracks and watch the scene in front of me.

She also addressed my stupid question dumbly, shrugging her shoulders like she doesn't know what to respond, her eyes quietly mirroring on me from distance, her head slowly lifting from her lap.

But perhaps my words triggered her, it was enough to break her out of her trance.

In a blink of an eye, she used her hands to clean her nose and wrap her own blonde hair around to form a ponytail, forcing herself to stand up.

"Yeah, of course, I'm fine"

She said almost automatically, even though her trembling voice framed her, the blue eyes of hers were trying to ignore my stare, focusing on the dark grey dress she was wearing.

"I don't think that's true" I moth, stepping towards her, but soon as I come closer to Page, she suddenly feels claustrophobic and turns her body around.

"Jesus, Brendan I said I'm great!"

She screams anxiously, right before she lowers her hand to catch her purse which was on the floor.

I don't give her the time to bullshit with me though. In a reflex, my right hand moves itself to strongly grab her arm, making her face me again,

"You were crying. What's wrong?"

She seems to focus her attention not in what I just said but on my hand, I immediately get the urge she might feel uncomfortable from my touch so I retrieve it.

Silence follows, but I maintain my question. She looks up at me with glowing eyes that are worried, begging me to stop questioning her.

I might be a total loser, I even fucking might be a coward, but I'm not the one to ignore something's right when it clearly isn't, and I don't care if it's none of my business.

"Look-"

"Rhys, you're drunk. So am I. There are times when me being drunk is me jumping and breaking things and sometimes I become emotionally overloaded but that's it." She quickly adds, not taking her eyes off of me.

She's good with dodging the bullet away but I don't believe her for one second.  She feels unsteady and tense, so I think about letting this issue go, at least for the rest of the night.

"I might be drunk but I'm not going to forget what I just saw Page, I'm not stupid" I told her.

"You mean- whatever you think you saw." She rolled her eyes, adding a tiny smirk to her lips.

"You know what? I need to get some fresh air. You should get back to the boys too." Her eyes trailed once more on my face, before she displayed her notorious smile, and headed down the stairs, half covering her face.

I stopped for a minute.

If this has something to with Travis, I think, for the first time, I won't keep my mouth shut over his shit.

I'm done protecting his ass.

Colber had my full respect because he was the one who was there for me from the very start, not everyone else.

He had helped me in ways I couldn't ever put into words, but he had earned my trust and friendship from the moment he looked at me in the eyes and told me that he was part of a group where people had flaws, unresolved trouble, deep personal shit to deal with but, most of all, he belonged there because people supported each other through thick and thin, no matter the consequences, no judgment, no pressure, just mutual back up.