3 | River of Tears

RIVER OF TEARS

RIVER OF TEARS

BRENDAN's POV

✘✘✘

PAGE WELFARE is right next to me.

I take my time to carefully analyze her completely with my mid-shut eyes.

Her but cheeks are touching the wooden floor, while her arms and hands softly rest on top of her long legs, which are tensely curved and making contact with her unsteady chest that keeps inhaling and exhaling pretty fast her back rubbing on straps of the stairs.

The first thing I notice though is her face, a sad expression plastered on her features, a few silenced tears making their way to her rosy cheeks, the characteristic white wide smile of hers I'm used to seeing is long gone.

She doesn't seem to be the Page I have known for three long years. And that alone is enough to set the alarm for me, making me become more aware of the space surrounding me.

Something is not right.

"Brendan?"

She recognizes me immediately, her light blue –almost grey eyes bulging right through me. Her tone is low, purposely questioning, curious and thoughtful, giving me the idea she is scared of something.

She definitely seems like she wasn't expecting to see someone, let alone me, but the lack of the usual confidence on her voice and of some sort of reflexing response in attempting to hide her wept eyes or tremulous lips, showed that she wasn't going to bulk away either.

"Page hey-are you... okay?" I ask dumbly, regretting it afterwards.

Of course she is not okay, prick, just fucking look at her.

The fact that a girl who is known for being one of Highland's pretty faces, always with some colour on her face, smiling, laughing extensively, cracking polite jokes to youngsters, low-key flirting and talking all the time, was, at the present time, curved in a ball crying her eyes out, in a corner of the high corridor in a friend's house, confused the hell out of me, especially now.