Scene 20 - Montage

Start from the beginning

Blithe just looks away from her sister.

INTERCUT: TRAINING

APOLLO

Now you see when you're on the field, you gotta be careful with your surroundings. This can be a good thing and a bad thing, because you can use your surroundings to your advantage, but so can your enemy.

The ground from underneath her begins elevating lifting her into the air and then rapidly falling back down. Ember jumps off and tries using fire to break her fall. Apollo sees that she almost glides a bit.

APOLLO

Looks like you understand what improvising is.

THAT NIGHT

INT. GIRLS CABIN - NIGHT

Hannah, Ember, Alice, and Bliss sit on a blanket in the floor of the Cabin. The girls are telling each other stories.

ALICE

When she used to stay in here, she would climb off the bunk beds, and one day she just lost her grip and fell off in the floor.

The girls laugh and Ember smiles. Bliss starts the next story, but Ember tunes it out, looking at Blithe's bunk, seeing her staring down at them with a somber expression on her face.

EMBER

Hey Blithe, why don't you join us?

Everyone looks over at Blithe.

Hannah smiles.

HANNAH

Yeah, come join the fun.

ALICE

Don't you wanna embarrass your sister?

The girls laugh and Blithe slightly smiles before joining the girls on the floor.

THE NEXT DAY

EXT. FOREST CLEARING - EARLY MORNING

EMBER

Please don't tell me we gonna do some more crazy stuff.

Apollo doesn't say anything for a moment.

APOLLO

Well, I really thought about this and I think you're really starting to get somewhere.

EMBER

(sarcastically)

Really!

APOLLO

Not so much, but that's why I also really thought about how we can improve your powers. I think that when you use it, the fire is just coming and it's flying everywhere. Which might come in handy sometimes, but not right now. My point is: have you ever tried to

use your abilities, but on a smaller scale?

EMBER

(confused)

No?

APOLLO

So, you see, what I mean is that if you concentrate your fire into a small area of your hand, you might be able to use your abilities without burning up everyone around you. So try this: open your hand and make a fire without burning anything.

Ember opens up her hand and makes a small fire floating at the palm of her hand.

APOLLO

Alright, good. Now try making it into shape.

The fire slowly turns into a ball.

APOLLO

Good, we're getting somewhere. Now try throwing it.

Just not at me.

Ember throws the ball of fire at a nearby tree. The tree then falls and burns to the ground.

INTERCUT KITCHEN

Hannah is cleaning in the kitchen and Ember comes in for a glass of water.

HANNAH
Ember, what are you doing up?

EMBER

I could ask you the same question.

HANNAH

It's just not everybody really cleans their dishes after dinner, so I just do it for them. It's nothing really, I'm used to it.

Ember goes to help Hannah with the dishes.

EMBER

So, how did you end up here anyway?

HANNAH

Well, I guess you could say I was the first to be saved by Apollo. I was still in England then. My parents left me out on the streets because they didn't want a child with powers. Apollo found me and I've been with him since.

Ember looks at her with sympathy.

Hannah sighs.

HANNAH

That's all in the past now. We should be getting some sleep. I'll see you in the morning.