Scene 17 - Bonding

CUT TO:

INT. CAMP KITCHEN - DAY

Ember scratches her head with nervousness. Hannah notices.

HANNAH

Ember, why are you scratching your head so much?

EMBER

I am just a little sad.

HANNAH

Why are you feeling like that?

EMBER

I don't know—I just feel like everyone is mad at me.

The water makes rushing sounds as it turns on. Ember and Hannah start washing the dishes.

Ember and Hannah start to enjoy each others company.

They play around with the water and start acting silly while doing the dishes, distracting Ember from her social problems.

Ember and Hannah are playing with the water and the bubbles that the soap makes.

HANNAH

Why don't we have a little water fight?

EMBER

(excited)

That seems great!

Ember has a big smile on her face as she replies. Ember and Hannah are making a mess with water, there is soap all over them and the walls. They don't care. Hannah is only worried about having fun. Ember starts to enjoy Hannah a lot while they are playing around and having fun. Soon Ember forgets her troubles, others begin to walk by and greet Hannah but not Ember.

EXTRA SUPER (O.S.)

Hello Hannah, how are you?

Ember and Hannah both notice but ignore the fact that the person only said hi to Hannah.

EXTRA SUPER #2

Hey Hannah, how's it hanging?

It happens again but the Girls brush it off

EXTRA SUPER #3

Hey Suds, Nice to see ya!

Ember finally Acknowledges the fact that they only speak to Hannah.

EMBER

(Making a strange gesture)

People are only saying hi to you and not me. See? I told you that they hate me.

There is a moment of silence for a few seconds. Hannah reacts confused and does not know what to say or how to react.

HANNAH

(nervous, tapping foot on the ground)

I think that they are treating you like that because you aren't acting as part of the group. If you want them to start treating you better, then pull your weight and they'll treat you how you want to be treated.

Ember is visibly confused and a little sad.

EMBER

Some people are just a little too rude, especially that girl who yelled at me earlier.

HANNAH

Who, Blithe? The one with brown hair and bangs?

EMBER

Yeah! Her!

HANNAH

Oh, don't pay attention to her. That's how she always acts,

Ember.

Ember continues scratching her head and cracking her knuckles, thinking about what Hannah was saying. She calms down afterward and stops scratching her head.

EMBER

Who is Blithe exactly?

HANNAH

Her parents sent her off here when she was younger and she's been bitter ever since.

EMBER

Why did they send her away? Did they not like her?

HANNAH

'1'Sure did, according to her. They thought her sister was better than her.

Ember is visibly confused with emotions mixing around in her head]

They resume washing the rest of the dishes while playing around.