43: The Game Changer

*

O N E     W E E K     L A T E R

*

    TAYA's POV:

"What do you mean you're not going to the prom?" Hallee was fuming.

If I were telling her this face to face, she would have gone all physical and started smacking my head, claiming that I had lost a few bolts. Thankfully though, it was over the phone

"It means I'm not going,"

"But... it's the prom!"

"I know it is,"

It was the morning of the prom and I couldn't be less enthused. Judah still couldn't be reached and I had given up all hope that he would be back for the prom. And so, I called Hallee up and I told her that I wasn't going to leave the comfort of my room today.

Sorry prom, but you're cancelled, I said to myself as I glanced at the long golden dress hanging on my bathroom door.

"But Tay, we got our dresses. We rented a limo. Maddie's date cancelled on her so Gabe's out for another shot. We're doing this. We're going to the prom,"

"Hallee... I'm sorry, but you guys should just go on without me," I said as I flopped lazily on the bed.

"I am not going to the prom without my bestie," she stated.

"But Hal—"

"It's because of him, isn't it? Still no word from him?"

"No word. No letter. Not even a punctuation mark,"

"I can't believe he's ghosting you like this. You don't deserve this. Oh, when I get my hands on him—"

"Hal, it's fine. I'm fine. I'm just not in the prom-mood for now,"

Hallee was quiet for a few moments. Meanwhile, I got up and started pacing back and forth around my room, thinking that maybe I should do my laundry tonight.

"No, I'm not taking no for an answer. We're picking you up in two hours and we're going to the prom and that's that," Hallee said finally.

"But—"

"Remember Taya 2.0? Where's she? I mean, enough is enough, Taya. You've spent almost two weeks crying over him, day and night. But not today, sister. Tonight's our prom night and I say we go out there and have some fun. And not even a disappearing boyfriend should get in the way of that,"

"Hallee..."

"We're gonna get some Zippy's before the prom, Jesse's gonna bring refreshments, and Gabe will bring... himself and Maddie," she paused for a beat before saying, "Come on, you don't wanna miss that,"

I had to admit, all those things sounded lovely.

I was walking aimlessly towards my dresser, when I caught my own reflection in the standing mirror. My brown hair had grown so long, the platinum blonde part was hanging only at the bottom. My eyes were swollen and my skin looked awful. I needed to start taking better care of myself. And then I glanced at the beautiful dress hanging by the door again.

It would be nice to feel pretty again... even for just a little bit.

"Ah, screw it, you're right," I said as my hand swiftly grabbed a pair of scissors, "We're going to the prom,"

*

The next few hours were chaos, to say the least. I was scrambling to take a quick shower, shaved my legs, did my nails, put on lotion, and donned a Korean facemask.