16: The Lego House

*

      TAYA's POV:

"Bravo! That was amazing!"

Mrs. Zee led the room in clapping her hands for Judah and I as we finished performing our last scene. She fished out a tissue paper from her purse and wiped the side of her eyes.

"I just love how natural you two are. Such a great chemistry, wouldn't you all agree?" she said again, turning to Hallee and the audience.

"Yes. It almost feels as if it's real and not acting," Hallee shot me a suspicious look, but even through the suspicion I could see her tearing up a little.

"Great practice everyone! We are right on schedule for the performance on Christmas eve. Remember, there's no rehearsals this week because it's thanksgiving. We'll pick up where we left off the following week," Mrs. Zee announced to everyone in the auditorium, dismissing today's theater club practice.

"Great job you two, keep it up. I can see an Oscar in your near future," Mrs. Zee winked to Judah and I as she made her way past us.

"I guess skipping school for all that extra practice paid off, huh?" Hallee nudged my arm playfully and I just swatted her elbow.

"What did you say Hallee? You're excited for thanksgiving?" I said loudly, hoping to drown Hallee's previous remark so Mrs. Zee wouldn't hear us.

"Ha-ha," she rolled her eyes at me. "So, will your dad be back for thanksgivings this year?" she said again.

"No, he's still in deployment. He'll be back by Christmas though, hopefully," I replied.

"My dad's not gonna make it back this year either," Hallee sighed. Same as mine, her dad was also in the Navy and was currently being deployed.

"Chicks with daddy issues," Judah muttered to Gabe, who was standing right behind us. Hallee and I glared at him and he just smiled innocently.

"What about you? Any plans for thanksgivings?" Gabe said to Judah.

"Nah, my mom had to work double shift at the diner," Judah replied.

"What? But it's thanksgiving?" Gabe protested and Judah just shrugged.

The image of Judah sitting alone in his house came to mind, and that didn't sit well with me.

"Hey, do you wanna come to my house for thanksgivings?" I said to Judah, and I noticed Gabe and Hallee exchanging glances at each other.

"My mom made the greatest pies. I made okay stuffing. And you've met my brother, Kai. My Uncle Peter and my cousin Ryder's gonna be there too,"

"Will y'all have those rice balls there too?"

"I guess that could be arranged,"

"Cool, count me in," he grinned brightly before heading for the door.

Hallee shot me an uneasy look but I just ignored her. She was eyeing me as if I had some underlying motives for inviting Judah. Pulling me to the side, she whispered to me, "so, did you end up making up with Blake?"

"No. Not yet. He's been calling and I've been ignoring him,"

"Do you even want to make up with Blake?"

"Of course I do! But I want him to take actions. Not just calling me and saying sorry and all that. I need prove that he actually cares for me,"

"Right. And in the meantime, you and Judah are..."

"Are nothing! You know our deal, we're just... eating cake,"

Hallee took a deep breath and sighed.