14. Blood soaked hands

I woke up some time later and I think it is now morning but its still really early. I rolled over and saw daddy sleeping on his sleeping bag and snoring a bit. Gee it must be early if daddy ain't even up yet.

"Daddy? Daddy I'm up, I'm awake now" I whispered gently into his ear. He just groaned so I continued "daddy...daddy you have to wake up... we can go huntin together!" I squealed excitedly.

"Nemo why ya fuckin awake a this time?"

"I don't know...do you thinks.....do you thinks we can finds Sammy?"

"I hope so Nemo" He said as he turned to face me.

I ran my finger over his face and started to draw shapes all over his face with my finger "Daddy, I'm forgetting their voices. I don't want to forget their faces too" I said just below a whisper. "Do you remember what they sounded like?" I now had daddy's full attention.

Inside, Daryl was having a inner battle with himself. Could he just be blunt and tell her that he never met him or does he pretend he did so that he doesn't break the little four year olds heart? Was she really beginning to forget how things were for her before the apocalypse?

"Uh... yeah I remember... sorta. Ya won' forge' their faces. Ye got a picture 'member.....come on get dressed n go see Maggie. I got work ta do"

"With that boy?..what happened with him?"

"Yeah with the boy. Rick an Shane brought im back said he knew Maggie or some shit"

After that we fell into a comfortable silence and I got on my boots with the help of daddy and my jacket and cap. I put Toby back in my bag too.

"Nemo stay away from him ya hear me. If I find out ya been near 'im yer in for it. Understood?"

I nodded my head in response. Daddy gave me a drink and sent me on my way to go see Maggie. He also said I had ta ask for food. I walked up to the big house as daddy went to the barn. I knocked on the door of the big house and Maggie opened the door.

"What ya doin up so early Diego?"

"Daddy tolds me ta git some foods"

"It's 'get some food' and of course"

Maggie lead me into the house and made me a sandwich. It was really yummy and I ate it really quickly. She also said everyone else was awake now. I then decided to go get Carl to play.

I finally found him walking away from Shane and I took off my jacket and cap and placed them on a log before going after him, making sure to keep my new necklace hidden.

"Hey Carl! Wait for me"

"What do you want?"

"To play"

"Good. Come with me"

Carl lead me over to the barn where daddy said he had to go work this morning. That boy was in there. Daddy said to stay away from him. But I trusted Carl.

"Come on hurry before we get caught" he hissed

I didn't really know what to do. Tell on Carl cause he was being bad or go with him and get inta trouble with daddy. I trusted Carl, he wouldn't get us inta trouble right?