Chapter Two

Alex gets up to answer the door, not looking through the peephole before swinging it open. Standing in the hall is the person I'd never expected to see again.

"James," I breath and back away towards the wall.

Alex looks at my ex boyfriend angrily and knocks him to the ground. "Who are you? How do you know Anna?"

James chuckles. "I'm Anna's former boyfriend, newly freed from imprisonment. And you are?" Alex drags James up by the collar and shoves him.

"I'm her boyfriend. So you're the jerk who makes wake screaming with nightmares."

"Nice to hear she still screams my name. Of course it was usually followed by-"

"Shut up and get out." Alex growls.

James raises his hands in surrender and steps towards me. I start hyperventilating and slide down the wall, curled up in a protective ball.

"Please don't hurt me. How did you get out?" I whimper, tears starting to slide down my cheeks.

James laughs, "I've paid my debt to society and I've come to celebrate. I thought you'd be overjoyed to see me." I shrink up further as he stands over me.

He touches my cheek and I flinch. "Okay, that's enough." Alexander finally speaks up. "Can't you see you're scaring her?"

My ex backs away and I start shaking like a leaf in a storm. "Get out dude, can't you see she's upset? If I catch you anywhere around her, you'll wish you were dead."

James leaves and Alex picks me up bridal-style, exits the apartment, and puts me in his car to go to the hospital.