Epilogue

EDITED 7.11.2020

3 years later

Zach's p.o.v

I watch Everly stand in front of our graduating class. I admire the way her face scrunches, and how she smiles at something funny she said. I love how she gets all red from reliving an embarrassing moment during college. She mentions me, which throws me off for a bit, but then I feel giddy inside. I made it into her speech, aww.

"Then duing freshman year, I met this most amazing boy. Some of you might've known him as this troubled kid, a rebel who did the weirdest pranks," She laughs. "Yet ever since I magically became this boy's roommate, my life got interesting, and we both changed each other for the greater good."

She continues with saying how in college there is all kinds of relationships; serious ones and not so serious. Both of them shows you what love is like, or could be like. It makes life more exciting.

"For me, Zach herron made me learn what love was supposed to be like in a relationship. If you were to ask him, I'm sure he'd say, "Everly changed me, I'm a better person now because of her." But to that I say he is completely wrong." The crowd chuckles, and she smiles at me through the crowd.

She continues, "Because I didn't do anything major, I just gave him a little push. He changed all on his own to the person I know deep down he always imagined himself being."

She keeps eye contact with me as she says the next words. "So, thank you class of 2019 for the amazing college memories I'll cherish forever. And a huge thank you to my boyfriend Zach, for taking me on this memorable ride through the last 4 years."

She smiles at the parents, staff, and students, as they all stand and clap for my girlfriend, Everly.

The speeches are done, and I am officially graduated. Everly is talking to her parents, while Ben and Nick are talking to Nick's family.

I lean up against a big oak tree, watching the kids I spent the last 4 years with go off with their lives, and probably never seeing them again. Graduation seems like the greatest thing, but far away when you're in school. Yet once you're officially done with it, memories of your years of school come at you, and it's overwhelming. I can't believe I'm actually done with school.

My mom suddenly comes into view, and then walks slowly to me. "Hey bud, how's it feel to be a college graduate?"

I give her a hug, and smile. "Oh you know, pretty good. Kind of sad though. I'll miss seeing the people I used to see everyday in class or around the campus."

She nods her head in understanding, and looks down at her feet. "Zach, I hope you know I am proud of you. For everything you accomplished these last few years. I wasn't there for your high school years, but I'm glad we worked it out for me to be apart of your life in college. Also, your dad called. He said to congratulate you. I hate mentioning him, but you know, he's your dad."

I hate seeing my mom weaken at the mention of my father. I can see the pain in her eyes, but she is brave enough to tell me what he said anyways. I hug her tightly once again, and we stand like that by the tree for a couple minutes until Ben, Nick, and Everly walk over to us.

My mom says goodbye to all of us, and leaves to go home. Once she leaves, the four of us stare at each other in silence, in a circle we somehow created. College was over, and all our lives are about to change. I can't wait for more adventures with the people I care about.

I stare at the now empty apartment. There's so much memories held into this space. I met Everly here, we kissed for the first time, Ben came out to me here, my mom and I shared dinner as a family, and so much more happened in this tiny space I called home–and it's gone just like that.

My mood cheered up once Everly came excitedly in to get me. "Zach! Come on, I want to go move in our new apartment already. Ben and Nick are waiting to say goodbye."

I look at her, and seeing her happy makes my heart ache. How'd I get so lucky?

"Okay, okay I'm coming." I take her hand in mine as we walked out the door. "And you know that the apartment isn't going anywhere, right?"

She punches me in the shoulder and I pretend it hurt, making a fake wince. We both laugh, and finally make it to the sidewalk with Ben and Nick.

"So, this is it. You're moving into an apartment with Everly, and I'm moving into one with Nick. When did we grow up?" Ben shakes his head, and then gives me a hug.

I shrug. "I have no idea, bro." I hate goodbyes. "Anyways, hope you and Nick make it there okay. I can't believe you two are moving two hours away."

Ben frowns, and leans on Nick. "I know, but we hate the city. You know that, but don't worry, we'll visit."

I smile. "Okay, whatever you say. Don't forget to send me a wedding invitation when you guys get engaged, stranger."

Ben gasps, and Nick just chuckles next to him.

"Shut up, Zach. We're not getting married anytime soon, chill. Also, we're not strangers yet." Ben smirks.

Everly hugs and says goodbye to the both of them. She then gets into the passenger seat of my car. I shake Nick's hand, telling him to take care of my brother, and give one final hug to Ben.

They both get into their car, and begin to drive off. I finally get in the drivers seat, letting Everly mess with the radio for the short drive ahead of us.

As we drive, I keep glancing at the beautiful girl next to me, and reminiscing on the wonderful times we've had with each other.

I look back on my high school years, and realize how my years spent fighting for the "top" didn't matter in the end. Being the tough guy earned me some credits, but it also broke me little by little. What made me truly happy–being with the girl I loved and having a healthy relationship with my mom–fixed me in many ways as a person. It changed me into the person I was afraid of becoming when I was young. Now it's all I imagine my self as. I thank it all for freshmen ben and I, because all Ben and I wanted was a roommate.

The End

Well, that's it folks. The Roommate is officially wrote and completed. It's actually really sad to see it over. Hope you enjoyed! Hope it was a good enough ending. A/N in detail will come soon. Thanks for the adventure, xo <3 -Izzy