Four

EDITED 7.09.2020

Zach's p.o.v

I have the urge to punch someone, and by someone, I mean my brother.

Ben knows I like Everly, I just know it. That's why I don't understand why he told Everly he thought she was pretty among other things. I don't even know why I care so much, let alone have feelings towards her. We met today. I also have a reputation to uphold, which means no girlfriends. What kind of tough guy would I be if I went all soft? Saying that actually makes me cringe a little, but it's the truth. I don't want to be that boy who puts his own feelings behind–like my brother did. No one would ever take me seriously if I got a girlfriend. I just need to stay focused.

I know the perfect thing.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I got expelled.

This definitely wasn't part of my plan. Did I expect a suspension only? Yes. Is my punishment at all that surprising after tackling a bunch of nerds to the ground? Nope.

Being expelled wasn't ideal, but I felt better already. This is until I saw my brother walking next to our roommate–the girl who I desperately wanted to forget about today. Ben and Everly are laughing hysterically, and she is smiling wide to whatever stupid joke my brother said.

I want to bang my head against the wall. I hate romance, why is it so important these days? Sure I get crushes here and there, but I remind myself that Zach Herron doesn't do all that. I can tell Ben is enjoying himself though. Oh well, time to ruin it.

Both of their grins subside, as I make my way towards them. Everly's the one who smiles at me, but Ben just looks the other way.

"Hey, Zach! We were just headed to get some lunch. Wanna come?" Everly waits for a response. Thankfully, she can't read my mind. I want to laugh in her face, be the soulless person I am, but I can't bring myself to be that harsh towards her.

So I lie. "Actually, I'm going back to the room. See ya!" I smile at Everly, and glance at Ben.

"Oh okay, bye, Zach." She waves, and Ben throws up a quick peace sign. Such a weirdo.

I watch as the two stroll away. I sometimes wish Ben would always be that silent. I know he's my brother and all, but he gets on my nerves. Especially now. Even though I prefer quiet Ben, I remember my mom always hoped for the opposite.

*flashback to sophomore year of High School*

My mom shook her head. "Why are you like this? This isn't how I raised you."

She was angry. Why did I always make her angry? I could smell the disappointment off of her–and the overwhelming amount of perfume.

She lets out an exagerated huff. "You should be more like your brother. At least he knows how to act right."

She wants me to cry. She wants me to break right in front of her, to prove that I'm weak. I almost break, but I promised myself to never give in.

I'll never let her win.

*Flashback ends*

Now that I'm expelled, what now? I don't have a plan at all. I am for sure not telling Ben the truth, or my mother. Maybe I'll hit up an old friend, or join a gang.

After coming back to the dorm, and spending the afternoon packing up some things, I decide to just tell Ben with a note. Man, I'm so generous.

As I sign the note, "sincerely, Zach," I hear a knock on the door. It can't be Ben, he has a key. I walk on over to the door and swing it open. I almost faint right then and there. This can not be happening to me right now.

"Hello, Zachary." I grimace at the sound of her voice saying my name.

"Well don't just stand there, aren't you going to give your mother a hug?" Her devilish smirk creeps along her lips.

I am in deep trouble.

And....scene!
Finally posted, it's been quite a few months. I've been super busy and had absolutely no motivation to sit down and write a chapter.
Thank you so much for all the reads and votes so far! I did not expect 100 people, let along 700, to have read my story. It's crazyyyy.
I'll be sure to post again! Hopefully not making you wait so long. Bye!