Eight

EDITED 7.10.2020

Zach's p.o.v

You know that twisted gut feeling you get when something awful happens? Well, that's what I am feeling right about now. As soon as I found out the boy in front of me is the one who beat up my brother, I felt so many emotions hit me like a thousand bullets. The one emotion I focused on most? Anger.

The blonde-haired boy clears his throatz "Hi, I'm Nick."

This Nick kid has some nerve. Who'd this guy think he is? He can't just show up here like everything is fine. He hurt my twin brother, which is basically hurting me too. No one gets away with that.

Everly steps into view as my eyes focus on Nick. "Zach, can we please talk in the other room?" Her eyes stare into mine.

I groan. "Fine, but only if that guy waits in the hall. I don't trust him to be near Ben." Nick let out a short sigh. I almost see a slight hurt in his eyes when I say Ben's name. Interesting.

Nick's face changes as he walks past me. He meets my eyes. "Such a shame that the guy everyone knows to be all tough, ends up to being weak for a girl. I thought it was just a rumor."

He starts to make his way towards the door. Once he grabs a hold of the handle, I grasp his forearm.

Everly shakes her head. "Zach, please let's just talk. You and me."

I ignore her, and look back at Nick. "Hey, you're not leaving until you tell me what people are saying about me." I glare at him with piercings eyes.

"Oh you know, they're saying before Everly came to this school, you were the bad guy around campus. You used to push kids in the halls, steal people's pencils, interrupt teachers in class.." Nick laughs, "Oh! Can't forget the time you snuck into the school at midnight, and taped the teacher's doors so they couldn't get in. That was your best work." Nick smirks. "Everyone hated you at the time, but now they kinda miss your mischief and pranks."

I scoff. "Please, I haven't changed. I am still the same guy. So what I don't do stupid pranks? Maybe I'm just saving a big one for a special day, when people will least expect it." That is a lie, a total lie. What's wrong with me?

Nick raises his eyebrows and grins. "Well, if that's true, I'll spread the word. You better not disappoint, Zach."

Nick shares a glance at Ben with a sadder expression. He finally walks to the door and closes it shut. The room is quiet, quiet enough to hear a pin drop. I clear my throat, and both Everly and Ben's eyes snap up to meet mine.

"Everly, can we talk now?" I ask her.

Everly slowly gets up and walks to her room. Before I follow her, I turn to Ben and ask if he's okay.

"Yeah, I'm just a little shaken up, but I'll be fine, Zach. It's just hard seeing Nick again. I'll get over it." He mumbled the last part, and made himself over to the couch.

"You sure you're okay? I can beat him up right now if you want me to. Say the word." I need Nick to pay.

Sadly, Ben shakes his head no. "Bro, don't you dare. As much as I hate him for what he did, he doesn't deserve to get beaten up too. Leave it alone, please?"

"Fine." I grumble out. "I'm going to go talk to Everly quick."

Ben smiles, and gets up from the couch to go to his room.

"So, Everly, mind telling me why the boy who beat up my brother was in our living room?" I stand by her door, and cross my arms.

"Zach, hear me out okay?" Everly paces around her room and sighs. "Nick...I know you won't believe me when I say this, but he didn't mean to hurt Ben. He has anger issues, and sometimes he snaps. I know it isn't an excuse–"

I stop Everly by waving up my hand. "Hold up, are you actually defending Nick? The guy who hurt my brother? What's going on, Everly?" I'm in disbelief.

"Zach, don't get mad, okay?" Everly takes a few steps closer to me. I step back. Why is she acting so weird?

"I'm not saying Nick is innocent. All I want you to take in consideration is that he couldn't control his actions that night at the party. He was wasted, and angry and who knows what. Just, don't give him a hard time for this."

"Everly, I can't even believe the words your saying! Nick hurt my brother. How can you stand here and say Nick didn't have control over his actions. He's going to pay for this." I feel my cheeks get red.

"Zach, please don't hurt him, please." Everly is persistent. Does she really care what happens to Nick?

"Everly, why are you trying to get me to lay off. Nick is the bad guy here, not me. Why do you care?"

Everly groans, and yells out, "Ugh, because Nick and I are dating! Okay?"

And that's when I blacked out.

Kind of a short chapter, sorry! Also, I apologize for not updating in FOREVER. I have been way to stressed this year and it's hard for me to find time. It's currently 2AM but I wanted to suffer and write up a chapter. Why? Because...THIS BOOK REACHED 4K READS! Like, okay thank you?!?! Love you all. Thanks so much for reading!
:) vote, comment, follow me, & add to your library!!
See ya,
Izzy