Ten

EDITED 7.10.2020

Zach's p.o.v

I wander off to let off steam. I can't just sit in that apartment, and hear the lies spilling out of Everly's mouth. They are all lies.

Call me stubborn, but I was not going to let this go. I'm not going to let Nick get away with hurting Ben. I don't care that Everly is dating this guy, I'm not going to let any sort of feelings I may have for Everly get in my head. I have to push them away for now. My only goal at this moment is to make Nick pay.

I almost forgot about the plan I said I had to Nick. I have to figure out what big scene I can cause. I've done a lot of pranks in the past, but this one has to be big.

To distract myself from beating Nick up, I start to shop for supplies in the store closest to the college. I turn around the corner, but stop as I hear a familiar voice from the other isle. It is Nick with two other guys. Must be his friends. I don't know how they can stand being around Nick. I think I've met his friends before. They are way nicer than him.

"Yeah dudes, totally. She's amazing, and I know it's cheesy, but I think she could be the one." Nick chuckles, and his friends start to smirk.

"Nick, are you for real?!" One of them nudges the others, and all three start to laugh.

Nick waves his hands up. "Hey, I said what I had to say. Let's just move on, please. We gotta get the supplies for the party tonight."

Party? I didn't know there's a party tonight. As I continue to shop, an idea pops in my head. This plan might end bad, but I think it's going to make Nick know he messed with the wrong guy.

The time read 8pm. It's go time. I dressed myself in my white shoes, rolled up blue jeans, and a dark green shirt.

(photo reference)

When I arrive at the dorms people are  dancing in the middle of the living room, girls stumbling as they walk down the stairs, and one of my best friends, Eben, waits for me by the drinks

When I arrive at the dorms people are dancing in the middle of the living room, girls stumbling as they walk down the stairs, and one of my best friends, Eben, waits for me by the drinks.

Eben was a couple years older than me. He has been by my side ever since my very first prank at college. I can't stand most of the kids here, but for some reason Eben understands me. I couldn't ask for a better partner in crime.

"Well, if isn't Zach himself." Eben smiles at me, and hands me a mystery drink in a red solo cup. I shrug my shoulders at it, and drink it all in one go. A sting takes over my throat immediately. I hate drinking, but I need it after the day I had.

"Man, remind me why I go to these overrated parties?" I shake my head at Eben, and he laughs.

"Because, we're both living the college life. Isn't it fun!?" He says with full sarcasm. He takes a swig of his drink, and whips his hair around. "Man, I hate drinking. Anyways, you came to this party because of that whole plan I heard you got up your sleeve?" Jonah pours some more liquid in his cup before he continues, "Which I am still salty that you won't tell me what it is."

I feel bad for not telling him, but I can't take the risk of it getting out. "Sorry bud, but trust me, you'll want to be there."

I smirk and turn to the group of kids who are playing spin the bottle. I then check the time on my phone and see it reads "9:35PM." My plan is going to start in 5 minutes.

A girl soon enters the house.

"Right on time." I think to myself.

I scan the room and spot Everly sitting on the couch, talking to her friends. Perfect. I look for Nick, and see him by the stairs laughing about something stupid his buddies said.

The girl walked in earlier, walks up to Nick, and whispers in his ear.

"Come on, Nick. Do it." I say to myself.

He seems to hesitate, but soon him and the girl walk upstairs. Just as I had planned.

Minutes go by, and the girl rushes down the stairs. Nick quickly runs down the stairs chasing after her.

"Hey, Everly! Your boyfriend over here just tried to sleep with me." The girl's lips lift into a small grin as she vanishes out the front door.

Nick's eyes widen and he shakes his head back and forth. "Wait, Everly, please. Don't believe her, I didn't do anything. She's lying!"

At the corner of my eye, I see Everly slowly get up from her seat and walk towards Nick. Once she's close enough, she slaps him across the face.

"How could you do this to me?" Her voice breaks.

I notice a small tear slip past her eyes, but she quickly wipes it away.

Her words struggle to come out. "After all these years, I thought you would be different."

By then, tears flow out, and Everly rushes out of the house. Nick stands there in silence, but I couldn't help but see the hurt in the eyes.

The room is quiet, until a heartless soul yells, "Let's party!" My guilt washes away, and I smile at the plan that had unfolded. Nick seems hurt, I succeeded.

The music fades in the background as I focus on the girl across the room, who is staring right at me. I can't breathe, and I can't seem move my feet. It's Maya, my ex.

*flashback starts*

"Zach..." She slurs my name, and giggles as she stumbles towards me.

My eyes blur from the tears escaping down my cheeks. She tries to put her hand on my shoulder, but I flinch. I push away.

"Don't. Don't you dare touch me, Maya." My voice is shaky. I can't even recognize my own voice.

"Zachy, come on, I didn't do anything wrong!" She starts to hiccup and laughs.

My heart aches, it feels like a house collapsed on top of me. I can't hold back my tears anymore. I don't care if everyone's eyes were on me, I am hurt. Seeing the one you love the most in the world get drunk, and watch as they make out with one of your best friends, sucks big time. If I can't trust her, who can I trust?

"I can't do this, Maya. Have a nice life." I turn around, pinching myself to make sure it wasn't all a dream. I feel eyes on me, and I hear the screams of my name coming from the girl who I thought loved me. The walks close in on me as I walk out the door.

*Flashback ends*

This is not happening again. My head began to spin. Maya, the girl who I loved and did anything for, is standing just a few feet away from me. I feel the pain all over again that happened two years ago. I immediately feel worse about what I did to Everly. It's as if something clicked after remembering about the events that broke me in the past. Is this how I made her feel? All because I wanted revenge on Nick. I am the worst roommate ever. I have to find her and apologize. As much as I hate to admit it, Everly means more to me than I thought.

I just have to face Maya right now.

Longer chapter. Hope it was fulfilling!
Spring break is near and I can just picture the days where I can relax and just write the whole day!! Stay tuned :)

ps. thanks so much for 5.1k+ reads and 100 votes on the book. you have no idea how much these simple things mean to me. thank you thank you thank youuuuu.